Labor Day Real Food FeastWed 29 Aug 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Get your friends together over some real food to celebrate Labor Day!
The summer days are beginning to draw in. Sunscreen and sandals are being swapped for backpacks and school supplies, and after months of long hours of playing outside, it’s time to head back to school. But not without one last hurrah!
Labor Day originated after the industrial revolution as a way to celebrate the economic and social contributions of the American workforce. However, we know it mostly as summer’s last stand! One last occasion to bring your family and friends together over a BBQ or picnic to enjoy each other, and the abundance of summer produce, before heading back to school.
So let’s celebrate the end of summer by standing up for real food this Labor Day!
Here are Some Ideas!
• Host a backyard BBQ with our Chargrilled Chicken Kebabs and a large Garden Salad.
• Make Yogurt Pops with your children before spending an afternoon at the pool, and then snack on them to cool down.
• Gather your friends for a pizza party, using September’s recipe of the month, Basic Pizza, and serve with a side of Everyday Green Chopped Salad.
And of course, don’t forget to share with us! Tweet images to @foodrev or share your experiences on our Food Revolution Community Page. Enjoy the remainder of your summer and happy Labor Day!
For more ideas, watch Jamie make pasta, mini burgers and old school Eton mess on the Today Show last month!
The Food Revolution Team
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table
- Good Food Org Guide Lists Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Jamie Calls For An 'ambush' In Food Education Fight
- November 2014 Monthly Challenges
- Exploring The Food In Landlocked Developing Countries
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Ladycakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time
- The Umbrella Movement & The Children Of Hong Kong
- Yummy Supper: Greens And Beans And Baked Eggs