Letís Get Food Education In Every School!Fri 17 May 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
In honor of Food Revolution Day 2013, weíre teaming up with the guys over at Food Day to launch a new campaign to make food education a priority in schools in the U.S.
Get Food Education in Every School
Get Food Education in Every School is a national initiative to raise awareness about the critical importance of food education in schools across America. This is a chance to start talking about how food education should be an integrated part of the school curriculum, and that hands-on cooking and essential food skills should be taught to every child, at every school in the country.
Providing our children with food education has never been more vitally important as it is today. As a result of obesity-related disease, this generation of children are predicted to be the first to die at a younger age than their parents. Furthermore, one-third of children in the United States are overweight or obese and total healthcare costs attributable to obesity could reach up to $957 billion by 2030, accounting for 18% of U.S. health expenditures. At the same time, 17 million children in the US remain hungry.
What Can We Do To Reverse These Trends?
Schools have the unique ability to educate children about food and nutrition, yet this is sorely neglected in most, with elementary students receiving an average of just 3.4 hours of food and nutrition education each year.
Schools need to be at the heart of food education, to teach children about food, where it comes from and how it affects our bodies and therefore, to put the tools of prevention in the hands of children themselves.
Food Education in Every School aims to do just that! We want to raise awareness over the need for food education in schools, to highlight the schools, districts and states that are already ahead of the game, educate our community on how they can get involved and build a broad base of support to create tangible, meaningful actions to get food education in every school for every student!
Make a Stand for Food Education
Join us, Food Day and many more today and show your support for food education in schools by signing up here.
Check out these great food education resources that are already in place and making a difference to students across the nation, and read about schools, districts and states that are already teaching their students essential food, nutrition and cooking skills here.
Sign up to show your support here, and join the conversation online at #fooded.
If you have any questions or want to send us your food education stories (whether something happening in your community, or why you believe food education is so important), email us at email@example.com
Support and share your belief that food education should be available for every child, in every school in America.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- Marchís Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics Ė Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine