Letís Get Food Education In Every School!Fri 17 May 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
In honor of Food Revolution Day 2013, weíre teaming up with the guys over at Food Day to launch a new campaign to make food education a priority in schools in the U.S.
Get Food Education in Every School
Get Food Education in Every School is a national initiative to raise awareness about the critical importance of food education in schools across America. This is a chance to start talking about how food education should be an integrated part of the school curriculum, and that hands-on cooking and essential food skills should be taught to every child, at every school in the country.
Providing our children with food education has never been more vitally important as it is today. As a result of obesity-related disease, this generation of children are predicted to be the first to die at a younger age than their parents. Furthermore, one-third of children in the United States are overweight or obese and total healthcare costs attributable to obesity could reach up to $957 billion by 2030, accounting for 18% of U.S. health expenditures. At the same time, 17 million children in the US remain hungry.
What Can We Do To Reverse These Trends?
Schools have the unique ability to educate children about food and nutrition, yet this is sorely neglected in most, with elementary students receiving an average of just 3.4 hours of food and nutrition education each year.
Schools need to be at the heart of food education, to teach children about food, where it comes from and how it affects our bodies and therefore, to put the tools of prevention in the hands of children themselves.
Food Education in Every School aims to do just that! We want to raise awareness over the need for food education in schools, to highlight the schools, districts and states that are already ahead of the game, educate our community on how they can get involved and build a broad base of support to create tangible, meaningful actions to get food education in every school for every student!
Make a Stand for Food Education
Join us, Food Day and many more today and show your support for food education in schools by signing up here.
Check out these great food education resources that are already in place and making a difference to students across the nation, and read about schools, districts and states that are already teaching their students essential food, nutrition and cooking skills here.
Sign up to show your support here, and join the conversation online at #fooded.
If you have any questions or want to send us your food education stories (whether something happening in your community, or why you believe food education is so important), email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support and share your belief that food education should be available for every child, in every school in America.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 3rd Annual SWAT Cook-Off 2014
- Chinese-Processed Chicken In School Meals
- How Scholarships For Groceries Aim To Impact Food Deserts
- Common Threads' World Festival
- Calling All Moms, Parents, Advocates!
- The Cycle Of Giving
- What Does The Food Movement Mean To You?
- Food Revolution Day - Let's Get Kids Excited About Food
- Breathing Energy And Life Into Real Food And Education
- The Big Rig Comes To The City Of Angels
- Feed Me Dearly: The Power Of Good Food
- Empowering High Schoolers To Make Better Food Choices
- Aprilís Monthly Challenges
- The Global Food Revolution Continues
- Eating To Live
- Quality Time On The Mobile Teaching Big Rig
- Fast Food Advertising: Itís Time To Start Paying Attention
- Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Fancy Water
- How The Circus Turned My Picky Eater Into A Food Lover
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem