LIVE School Food Experts On Nutrition Standards For SnacksThu 07 Mar 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Join our live conversation next Monday at 9am PT/12pm ET with school food experts, to find out exactly what the proposed rule for snacks sold in schools looks like, and how you can act!
Last month, the USDA released long awaited national nutrition standards for snacks and beverages sold in schools. These proposed standards apply to items that can be purchased from vending machines, schools stores, and cafeteria a la carte lines, and regularly include sugary drinks and snacks high in salt, fat and sugar.
Now that the proposed standards are out, a comment period is open until April 9th to allow you to show your support, and to comment on certain aspects that you agree with, disagree with and think should be changed or strengthened.
On Monday, March 11th at 9am PT/12pm ET/4pm GMT were hosting a LIVE conversation on these standards to educate and update our community on what exactly what this means for snack food and beverages in schools, why it is important and how to comment on it.
Joining us for this important conversation are:
Margo Wootan, Director of Nutrition Policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)
Jessica Donze Black, Director, Kids' Safe and Healthful Foods Project
Lisa Creighton, Senior Program Coordinator, Nutrition, Hunger and Physical Activity, NEA Health Information Network and Bag the Junk
Monifa Bandele, Campaign Director, MomsRising
Jo Creed, Social Media and Food Policy Manager for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation will be moderating.
Be sure to tune into this conversation, and get the low down on snacks in schools live at www.youtube.com/foodrevolution.
If you have any questions about these standards that you would like to ask our experts, you can either tweet them to @foodrev using the hash tag #dumpthejunk, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dont forget to tune in and find out everything you need to know about snacks in schools, Monday March 11 at 9am PT/12pm ET/5pm GMT.
See you then!
The Food Revolution Team
- 100 Days Of Real Food Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases A Review Of Actions