LIVE School Food Experts On Nutrition Standards For SnacksThu 07 Mar 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Join our live conversation next Monday at 9am PT/12pm ET with school food experts, to find out exactly what the proposed rule for snacks sold in schools looks like, and how you can act!
Last month, the USDA released long awaited national nutrition standards for snacks and beverages sold in schools. These proposed standards apply to items that can be purchased from vending machines, schools stores, and cafeteria a la carte lines, and regularly include sugary drinks and snacks high in salt, fat and sugar.
Now that the proposed standards are out, a comment period is open until April 9th to allow you to show your support, and to comment on certain aspects that you agree with, disagree with and think should be changed or strengthened.
On Monday, March 11th at 9am PT/12pm ET/4pm GMT we’re hosting a LIVE conversation on these standards to educate and update our community on what exactly what this means for snack food and beverages in schools, why it is important and how to comment on it.
Joining us for this important conversation are:
• Margo Wootan, Director of Nutrition Policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)
• Jessica Donze Black, Director, Kids' Safe and Healthful Foods Project
• Lisa Creighton, Senior Program Coordinator, Nutrition, Hunger and Physical Activity, NEA Health Information Network and Bag the Junk
• Monifa Bandele, Campaign Director, MomsRising
Jo Creed, Social Media and Food Policy Manager for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation will be moderating.
Be sure to tune into this conversation, and get the low down on snacks in schools live at www.youtube.com/foodrevolution.
If you have any questions about these standards that you would like to ask our experts, you can either tweet them to @foodrev using the hash tag #dumpthejunk, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to tune in and find out everything you need to know about snacks in schools, Monday March 11 at 9am PT/12pm ET/5pm GMT.
See you then!
The Food Revolution Team
- Cooking Field Trips For Food Revolution Day
- Big Love, Big Thanks!
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyone’s Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!