LIVE School Food Experts On Nutrition Standards For SnacksThu 07 Mar 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Join our live conversation next Monday at 9am PT/12pm ET with school food experts, to find out exactly what the proposed rule for snacks sold in schools looks like, and how you can act!
Last month, the USDA released long awaited national nutrition standards for snacks and beverages sold in schools. These proposed standards apply to items that can be purchased from vending machines, schools stores, and cafeteria a la carte lines, and regularly include sugary drinks and snacks high in salt, fat and sugar.
Now that the proposed standards are out, a comment period is open until April 9th to allow you to show your support, and to comment on certain aspects that you agree with, disagree with and think should be changed or strengthened.
On Monday, March 11th at 9am PT/12pm ET/4pm GMT we’re hosting a LIVE conversation on these standards to educate and update our community on what exactly what this means for snack food and beverages in schools, why it is important and how to comment on it.
Joining us for this important conversation are:
• Margo Wootan, Director of Nutrition Policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI)
• Jessica Donze Black, Director, Kids' Safe and Healthful Foods Project
• Lisa Creighton, Senior Program Coordinator, Nutrition, Hunger and Physical Activity, NEA Health Information Network and Bag the Junk
• Monifa Bandele, Campaign Director, MomsRising
Jo Creed, Social Media and Food Policy Manager for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation will be moderating.
Be sure to tune into this conversation, and get the low down on snacks in schools live at www.youtube.com/foodrevolution.
If you have any questions about these standards that you would like to ask our experts, you can either tweet them to @foodrev using the hash tag #dumpthejunk, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to tune in and find out everything you need to know about snacks in schools, Monday March 11 at 9am PT/12pm ET/5pm GMT.
See you then!
The Food Revolution Team
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table
- Good Food Org Guide Lists Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Jamie Calls For An 'ambush' In Food Education Fight
- November 2014 Monthly Challenges
- Exploring The Food In Landlocked Developing Countries
- Blog Of The Month: Oh, Ladycakes
- Exciting News From The Chef Ann Foundation!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Food Education In Torpoint, UK
- Getting Kids To Eat Real Food, One New Food At A Time