Long Beach Nutrition Revolution!Wed 14 Dec 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
First 5 LA Joins Fight Against Obesity in Long Beach Nutrition Revolution!
This weekend the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation along with First 5 LA and The California Endowment are co-sponsoring a special Nutrition Revolution community event at Long Beach City College.
Dec 17 from 4pm to 8pm and Dec 18 from 11am to 3pm
Long Beach City College
1305 E. Pacific Coast Hwy., Long Beach CA
Parking Lot #2 off Orange Ave
The weekend event is free and open to the community and part of the ‘Big Rig Teaching Kitchen’ in partnership with The California Endowment’s statewide Building Healthy Communities initiative and First 5 LA’s Best Start.
Why Long Beach?
Research has found obesity to be a serious issue among Long Beach Unified School District and it has been reported that there are disproportionally higher rates of overweight and obesity in central long beach – one of the areas of focus for The California Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities and First 5 LA’s Best Start initiatives in Long Beach.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation has partnered with First 5 LA along with the California Endowment to bring the ‘Big Rig Teaching Kitchen’ to Long Beach in order to help fight these obesity rates by teaching kids life-changing cooking skills, and to provide more opportunities for both youth and adults to learn about making healthy food choices.
The Nutrition Revolution event promises to be a fun weekend featuring food demonstrations for parents on healthy cooking, a winter wonderland playground and resources on healthy eating and sourcing food locally.
Free This Weekend?
So if you are free this weekend and in the Long Beach area, why not head down to Long Beach City College (full address above) for the Nutrition Revolution! Join the fun for a tour of the Big Rig Teaching Kitchen, demonstrations on the Big Rig Stage and sample some of the yummy treats from the kitchen!
As Melissa Franklin, marketing manager for Best Start states
“Cooking with your child and teaching them about shapes, colors and smells will unlock a world of healthy, exciting possibilities for them.”
We hope to see you this weekend!
The Food Revolution Team
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Childhood Obesity Month Sets Stage For Healthy Schools
- Thought For Food - Tackling The Biggest Issues Facing Our Food
- Top Tips For Food Education
- Happy Food Literacy Month California!
- The Mount Desert Island Hospital Food Revolution Heats Up
- Big Changes In UK School Food
- More Outdoor Dining Moments From Across The Globe
- September Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA