Long Beach Nutrition Revolution!Wed 14 Dec 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
First 5 LA Joins Fight Against Obesity in Long Beach Nutrition Revolution!
This weekend the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation along with First 5 LA and The California Endowment are co-sponsoring a special Nutrition Revolution community event at Long Beach City College.
Dec 17 from 4pm to 8pm and Dec 18 from 11am to 3pm
Long Beach City College
1305 E. Pacific Coast Hwy., Long Beach CA
Parking Lot #2 off Orange Ave
The weekend event is free and open to the community and part of the ‘Big Rig Teaching Kitchen’ in partnership with The California Endowment’s statewide Building Healthy Communities initiative and First 5 LA’s Best Start.
Why Long Beach?
Research has found obesity to be a serious issue among Long Beach Unified School District and it has been reported that there are disproportionally higher rates of overweight and obesity in central long beach – one of the areas of focus for The California Endowment’s Building Healthy Communities and First 5 LA’s Best Start initiatives in Long Beach.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation has partnered with First 5 LA along with the California Endowment to bring the ‘Big Rig Teaching Kitchen’ to Long Beach in order to help fight these obesity rates by teaching kids life-changing cooking skills, and to provide more opportunities for both youth and adults to learn about making healthy food choices.
The Nutrition Revolution event promises to be a fun weekend featuring food demonstrations for parents on healthy cooking, a winter wonderland playground and resources on healthy eating and sourcing food locally.
Free This Weekend?
So if you are free this weekend and in the Long Beach area, why not head down to Long Beach City College (full address above) for the Nutrition Revolution! Join the fun for a tour of the Big Rig Teaching Kitchen, demonstrations on the Big Rig Stage and sample some of the yummy treats from the kitchen!
As Melissa Franklin, marketing manager for Best Start states
“Cooking with your child and teaching them about shapes, colors and smells will unlock a world of healthy, exciting possibilities for them.”
We hope to see you this weekend!
The Food Revolution Team
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine