LUNCH LINE – A Documentary On America's School Food ProgramThu 30 Sep 2010
LUNCH LINE reframes the school lunch debate through an examination of the program's surprising past, uncertain present and possible future.
In the film, six kids from one of the toughest neighborhoods in Chicago set out to fix school lunch and end up at the White House.
Their unlikely journey parallels the dramatic transformation of school lunch from a weak patchwork of local anti-hunger efforts to a robust national feeding program. The film tracks key moments in school food and child nutrition from 1940s, 1960s, and 1980s to the present – revealing political twists, surprising alliances, and more common ground than people realize.
Along the way, Senators, Secretaries of Agriculture, entrepreneurs, and activists from across the political spectrum add top-down perspective to a bottom-up film about the American political process, the health and welfare of its future, and the realities of feeding more than 31 million children a day.
This is a must-see film if you want to find out more about the federal school meal program and your kids school meals. Check out the planned October screenings below – all listed on their Facebook page, if there isn’t a screening near you and you are interested in hosting one in your community email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1 October – Screening in Chattanooga, TN, Crabtree Farms 18:00 – 19:30
6 October – NY Screening, Landmark Sunshine Cinema 18:30 – 21:00
7 October – Oregon Rural Action screening, Eastern Oregon University 18:00 – 20:00
9 October – Screening at Baylor University 18:30 – 20:30
13 October – Atlanta screening, Midtown Art Cinema 18:30 – 22:30
28 October – Houston screening, The Health Museum, 18:30 – 20:30
Watch the trailer
Follow LUNCH LINE on Facebook
The Food Revolution Team
- The Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Year One
- Propelling A School Food Revolution!
- December’s Monthly Challenges
- School Food And Policy In The U.S.
- Jamie's Foundation In America And It's Global Impact
- #FoodRevThanks And Gratitude
- Change Is Happening In Pittsburgh!
- Meet Our Malaysian Food Hero
- Blog Of The Month: The Wednesday Chef
- Cooking Up Change In Fresno
- Food Revolution Shake Up In Vienna
- Food Education: Counting Colors Instead Of Calories
- Mira’s Young Chefs - Hands-on, Educational And Fun Cooking Classes
- What Do You Mean, “Whole Foods – The Store?”
- Hong Kong’s Food Education Program – Think.Cook.Save.
- Manifesto For Pupils' Snack In Romania
- November’s Monthly Challenges
- High Protein Snacks That Satisfy
- Halloween Treat - Rocky Road Kill Recipe!
- Jamie Oliver Addresses The Global Food Revolution