Making Real Food A PriorityTue 28 Jan 2014
Story by Donna Castellano
Somehow, we’ve disconnected ourselves from real food, where it comes from, how it is produced, and from the way it brings us closer together at the end of a long day…and we are paying the price. Children are growing up sicker and heavier, and our nation has become one of the world’s more unhealthy populations! Our economy is being crippled by skyrocketing health costs because of a reluctance to put prevention at the heart and soul of our health care system.
“The problem (of poor health) stems from the loss of cooking skills at home and at the availability of processed food at every turn from the school cafeteria to church function halls, factories and offices”. – Jamie Oliver
But I do believe there is hope, despite our full days and hectic schedules, that we can still maintain a similar sense of pride and quality in our meals and time spent with loved ones. We CAN reconnect with real food again and put family mealtime at the heart of our daily schedules.
We do have choices.
Somehow we must find the time, slow down and choose to make healthy, real food a priority in our lives. It is for this reason that I have created The Hanging Spoon. The recipes I create and share are simple and require just a few fresh ingredients. My goal is get people in the kitchen feeling confident, inspired and feeling good about the meals they bring to the table, without any added stress!
Through the blog I hope to educate others on the power of food and how the choices we make- for ourselves and for our family- can have a significant impact on our health and ultimately, our quality of life. Some of my most popular posts have been the “Quick Weeknight Meals” because, let’s face it…everyone is busy these days. Real food and healthy meals need not be complicated and can often be pulled together in 30 minutes or less. Other blog posts have and will include my stories, experiences and advice as a mother, registered dietitian, Food Revolution ambassador and advocate for food education in schools.
About the Author: Donna Castellano is a Registered Dietitian in private practice and is the creator of The Hanging Spoon. She has a Master’s Degree in Clinical Nutrition from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (Rutgers University). She is a Food Revolution Ambassador for Middletown, N.J.
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges