March Blog Of The Month: Little Ladies Who LunchWed 28 Mar 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Congratulations to our February blog of the month – Little Ladies Who Lunch!
Little Ladies Who Lunch™ chronicles the story of one mother's attempt to find a healthier way of eating, cooking and living.
The family's journey began with a diagnosis of Familial Hypercholesterolemia for 3 out of 6 household members just before the start of the 2010-2011 school year. Familial Hypercholesterolemia is a disorder of high LDL ("bad") cholesterol that is passed down through families, which means it is inherited. Little Ladies Who Lunch was initially started as a private way for the blogger, a mom of 4, to hold herself accountable for the foods she served to her family.
After sharing her food ideas with friends and family and later finding a home at Tumblr.com, the blog caught the attention of Tumblr's Food Spotlight section with posts like this unique twist on pizza as well as dozens of interesting bento ideas.
At its inception Little Ladies Who Lunch focused exclusively on cholesterol reduction based on the advice of multiple lipid specialists, which unfortunately entailed using fat-free "fake" options instead of whole, real foods. Since then it has moved to a more well-rounded approach to overall wellness by looking at the big picture rather than focusing on one element of the family's health by highlighting a diet rich in whole, natural foods.
Delicious, Healthy, Colorful Fare
Little Ladies Who Lunch features delicious, healthy and colorful fare (always without artificial food dye) that appeals to kids and adults alike and encourages readers to prepare meals using organic produce, humanely-raised meats, pastured dairy products and love.
As the blogger herself says,
"we aren't perfect eaters, but we've come such a long way since our and are continuing to make improvements slowly and surely. I hope we can inspire other families to do the same."
Take a look around the archives and also be sure to also check out their fun ideas on how to make holidays like Halloween a little healthier while still keeping things festive. More timely are posts for Easter and Passover.
Every month here at the Food Revolution we choose one of the many amazing food focused blogs as our ‘Blog of the Month’. If you want to submit your blog, email us your blog details here.
The Food Revolution Team
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’