March Blog Of The Month: Little Ladies Who LunchWed 28 Mar 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Congratulations to our February blog of the month – Little Ladies Who Lunch!
Little Ladies Who Lunch™ chronicles the story of one mother's attempt to find a healthier way of eating, cooking and living.
The family's journey began with a diagnosis of Familial Hypercholesterolemia for 3 out of 6 household members just before the start of the 2010-2011 school year. Familial Hypercholesterolemia is a disorder of high LDL ("bad") cholesterol that is passed down through families, which means it is inherited. Little Ladies Who Lunch was initially started as a private way for the blogger, a mom of 4, to hold herself accountable for the foods she served to her family.
After sharing her food ideas with friends and family and later finding a home at Tumblr.com, the blog caught the attention of Tumblr's Food Spotlight section with posts like this unique twist on pizza as well as dozens of interesting bento ideas.
At its inception Little Ladies Who Lunch focused exclusively on cholesterol reduction based on the advice of multiple lipid specialists, which unfortunately entailed using fat-free "fake" options instead of whole, real foods. Since then it has moved to a more well-rounded approach to overall wellness by looking at the big picture rather than focusing on one element of the family's health by highlighting a diet rich in whole, natural foods.
Delicious, Healthy, Colorful Fare
Little Ladies Who Lunch features delicious, healthy and colorful fare (always without artificial food dye) that appeals to kids and adults alike and encourages readers to prepare meals using organic produce, humanely-raised meats, pastured dairy products and love.
As the blogger herself says,
"we aren't perfect eaters, but we've come such a long way since our and are continuing to make improvements slowly and surely. I hope we can inspire other families to do the same."
Take a look around the archives and also be sure to also check out their fun ideas on how to make holidays like Halloween a little healthier while still keeping things festive. More timely are posts for Easter and Passover.
Every month here at the Food Revolution we choose one of the many amazing food focused blogs as our ‘Blog of the Month’. If you want to submit your blog, email us your blog details here.
The Food Revolution Team
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine