May 17: Stand Up For Essential Cooking SkillsThu 25 Apr 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Day Team
Food Revolution Day 2013 is just around the corner! On May 17 people from all over the world will stand together in support of good food and essential cooking skills.
Diet-related diseases are among the world's biggest killers (1). This year alone, over 2 million people will die as a result of being obese (2) while over 2 million children will die from under-nutrition (3).
We need to get back to basics and share our cooking skills and knowledge so everyone has access to good, nutritious food made from scratch. Cooking skills are declining and less people around the world now cook good, wholesome, nutritious food from scratch (4). Plus, food education is lacking in many communities across the world – a study carried out in the UK found that 1 in 10 young adults believe that eggs come from wheat (5), while an Australian study found that 20% of kids believe that pasta comes from animals (6). And in the US food and nutrition education is not compulsory - elementary kids on average get just 3.4 hours per year (7).
Food Revolution Day is taking place all over the world, in homes, schools, workplaces and communities and there are already hundreds of activities on our global map.
From a classic Italian meal made of fresh, locally grown ingredients at home in Rome and a chef style competition in a Pittsburgh school to a workplace in Belmont, NC learning about raw foods and a community lunch and exchange of seedlings in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Search for an activity near you to join or host your own! Our Downloads Page has all the resources you need to pimp your online spaces along printable leaflets, eBooks, an activity guide and stickers.
Is your city represented?
So far, cities with the most Food Revolution Day activities are – Toronto, London, San Francisco, Hong Kong and Rio de Janeiro.
Is your city represented on our global map? If not, there’s still plenty of time to get something organised! Find out more and get great tips from our global ambassadors here.
Whatever you decide to do, no matter how big or small, be sure to add your activity to www.foodrevolutionday.com and help keep cooking skills alive this May 17.
Want to know what Jamie’s doing?
Check out his Food Revolution Day video message here and official street party in London here.
Cook it. Share it. Live it.
The Food Revolution Day Team
1.WHO, The top 10 causes of death http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index.html
2.WHO, Obesity and Overweight http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/
3.Unicef, Level & Trends in Child Mortality 2011 Report http://www.unicef.org/media/files/Child_Mortality_Report_2011_Final.pdf
4.Journal of Extension, ‘How Culinary Nutrition Can Save the Health of a Nation’
5.LEAF survey http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Ingredients/Young-adults-believe-eggs-come-from-wheat
6.Australian Council for Educational Research, Food, Fibre and the Future : Report on surveys of students’ and teachers’ knowledge and understanding of primary industries http://research.acer.edu.au/national_surveys/1/
7.Food Corps 2010 -2011 Annual Report
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine
- Join In On The Fun At The Kids Food Festival
- A Naturally Sweet School Valentine's Day