Meals On The Go!Fri 07 Sep 2012
Story by Jennifer Tyler Lee
Convenience tops the list for most busy parents when it comes to cooking. Dashing from school to soccer practice, or heading for the hills on a weekend adventure, families need quick and tasty foods that kids will eat on the run. But can meals on the go be healthy too?
With just a little creativity and planning, it’s easy to ditch packaged foods and make simple meals on the go that are healthy and tasty. This month, Crunch a Color’s 52 New Foods adventure focused on convenient meals you can make when you’re on the run.
On busy days, I need to cook meals with mileage – ones that can be featured on our menu several times in a week and in a myriad of different ways. Beans top that list, with fun variations like veggie burritos or black bean salad. So this month we set out to learn how to cook black beans.
Easy Spanish Rice
Another convenient dish to have on the ready is Spanish rice. Easy to make and simple to save, it’s great tucked in a warm tortilla, or snuggled in a lunchbox. With a quick sautee and simmer, we transformed a few simple ingredients into a tasty side dish to accompany our hearty black beans: Easy Spanish Rice.
Pack Your Own
When you’re rushing out the door it’s easy to just grab something (from a package) and go, or plan to eat take-out on the road. But with a little planning, some easy recipes and the right gear, packing up a few healthy dishes ensures you and your kiddos are eating healthy on the road.
On the Go?
What are your favorite healthy meals on the go? Post your pictures on the Food Revolution Facebook page and tag @crunchacolor. You may be featured in our next 52 New Foods Recipe Roundup!
Craving more new recipes to try? Tune into the Crunch a Color™ New Food Challenge each week for more tasty, fun and easy recipes from fellow Food Revolutionaries and get the exclusive recipe roundups each month right here on Jamie’s Food Revolution.
About the author: Jennifer Tyler Lee is a mom of two children and the creator of Crunch a Color -- the award-winning nutrition games that make healthy eating fun. Like most parents, she struggled to get her kids to eat healthy, balanced meals, so she decided to make it into a healthy eating game and she’s giving back to support The Food Revolution. Watch her picky eaters tell the story of how they turned into healthy eaters playing the game. Jennifer’s passion is making mealtime fun, easy and healthy for busy families. Her tasty recipes, quick tips, and new food adventures are regularly featured at Pottery Barn Kids, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, The Huffington Post, and on her website, www.crunchacolor.com.
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!