Meals On The Go!Fri 07 Sep 2012
Story by Jennifer Tyler Lee
Convenience tops the list for most busy parents when it comes to cooking. Dashing from school to soccer practice, or heading for the hills on a weekend adventure, families need quick and tasty foods that kids will eat on the run. But can meals on the go be healthy too?
With just a little creativity and planning, itís easy to ditch packaged foods and make simple meals on the go that are healthy and tasty. This month, Crunch a Colorís 52 New Foods adventure focused on convenient meals you can make when youíre on the run.
On busy days, I need to cook meals with mileage Ė ones that can be featured on our menu several times in a week and in a myriad of different ways. Beans top that list, with fun variations like veggie burritos or black bean salad. So this month we set out to learn how to cook black beans.
Easy Spanish Rice
Another convenient dish to have on the ready is Spanish rice. Easy to make and simple to save, itís great tucked in a warm tortilla, or snuggled in a lunchbox. With a quick sautee and simmer, we transformed a few simple ingredients into a tasty side dish to accompany our hearty black beans: Easy Spanish Rice.
Pack Your Own
When youíre rushing out the door itís easy to just grab something (from a package) and go, or plan to eat take-out on the road. But with a little planning, some easy recipes and the right gear, packing up a few healthy dishes ensures you and your kiddos are eating healthy on the road.
On the Go?
What are your favorite healthy meals on the go? Post your pictures on the Food Revolution Facebook page and tag @crunchacolor. You may be featured in our next 52 New Foods Recipe Roundup!
Craving more new recipes to try? Tune into the Crunch a Colorô New Food Challenge each week for more tasty, fun and easy recipes from fellow Food Revolutionaries and get the exclusive recipe roundups each month right here on Jamieís Food Revolution.
About the author: Jennifer Tyler Lee is a mom of two children and the creator of Crunch a Color -- the award-winning nutrition games that make healthy eating fun. Like most parents, she struggled to get her kids to eat healthy, balanced meals, so she decided to make it into a healthy eating game and sheís giving back to support The Food Revolution. Watch her picky eaters tell the story of how they turned into healthy eaters playing the game. Jenniferís passion is making mealtime fun, easy and healthy for busy families. Her tasty recipes, quick tips, and new food adventures are regularly featured at Pottery Barn Kids, Jamie Oliverís Food Revolution, The Huffington Post, and on her website, www.crunchacolor.com.
- Letís Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyoneís Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing Mayís Monthly Challenges
- Teaching A Love Of Real Food Around The World