Milk Week Of Action Kicks Into High GearThu 03 Nov 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Flavored Milk Week of Action is kicking into high gear for next week, November 7-11. From taking the "pure milk challenge" for a week to letter writing, petition signing and school assemblies, hundreds of Food Revolutionaries are capitalizing on this moment. Participation simply means using next week to do activities - from simple actions to week-long events - that call for the phasing out of flavored, sweetened milk this school year.
Here is one description of how a mom in San Dimas, CA began to activate people
"We are just starting out so I am having my first meeting today at a local park where I will introduce myself and ask for volunteers for a petition to be signed by parents and students alike to have just plain milk served at all schools in the school district."
And at Battlefield High School in Haymarket, VA, the 'PhD Club' is:
"Placing posters around the school and getting their fellow students to sign their names to show their commitment" to bringing back pure milk.
Are you a school staff or food services director? A charter school fitness coordinator in Palm Springs, CA has reported:
"I gave out stickers and stamps to those kids who chose white milk for lunch. I then brought in the classes one by one and taught them the difference between white milk and chocolate milk. We weighed out the sugar, etc... I gave out surveys to the kids asking them, 'If we only had white milk here at school, would you drink it?' 85% of the students replied with yes." So they are now testing the switchover.
We know that in many cases just initiating the conversation works wonders. In a school district not far from Los Angeles, a science teacher was inspired after watching the school bus stunt from Season 2 of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. She shared the information from the show with her school principal and cafeteria director, and "the flavored milk was pulled as soon as they sold the remaining stock on hand."
Want Milk Facts of Your Own?
The Food Revolution Team launched an exclusive Milk HQ web page that has enough resources to change the milk policy in more than a few schools, including:
• Facts on milk and Pure milk marketing materials
• A Sugary Milk Calculator that measures how much extra sugar a school consumes in one year
• Internal memos and examples of how other school nutrition directors and superintendents eliminated sugary milk in their schools, and finally,
• Tools for action such as flyers, posters, sample petitions, and detailed planning guides.
Check all of this out here! www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/MilkAction
We encourage all Food Revolutionaries to join this historic movement. Recruit your school to do one thing and start the conversation about eliminating flavored sugary milk this school year. It's happening across the country!
To share your story, please email email@example.com. And join our Facebook Group.
The Food Revolution Team
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine