Mississippi Healthy Students ActThu 11 Jul 2013
Story by Catherine Kastleman
Reposted from FoodDay.org, see the original here.
Mississippi is a state that has long struggled with high obesity rates, but it seems that a state mandate that included food education may have had an impact on reducing obesity levels among youth.
Passed in 2007, the Mississippi Healthy Students Act mandates that schools statewide provide a minimum of 45 minutes of health education, including nutrition and physical activity, per week.
To help schools comply with the act, the Mississippi Office of Healthy Schools created a list of approved supplemental resources including curricula, training, and equipment for educators.
According to a report by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the percentage of schools with at least 75 percent of students receiving health education doubled between 2006 and 2008.
A study in 2011 found a decrease in the prevalence of overweight and obesity for elementary age and adolescent children, a reversal after decades of steady increases. While the school environment is not the only factor in reducing obesity levels—home environment obviously also plays a major role—the combination of education and changes in the school food environment have almost certainly contributed to these outcomes.
Mississippi has even received encouragement for their efforts around health promotion and food education by First Lady Michelle Obama, who made a special point of stopping in Clinton, MS, in February of 2013 as part of her “Let’s Move” tour. Mrs. Obama praised the state for a 13% drop in obesity rates among the general population since 2005.
About the author: Catherine Kastleman is the project coordinator for Food Day.
Photo credit: The Mississippi Link
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine
- Join In On The Fun At The Kids Food Festival