Mississippi Healthy Students ActThu 11 Jul 2013
Story by Catherine Kastleman
Reposted from FoodDay.org, see the original here.
Mississippi is a state that has long struggled with high obesity rates, but it seems that a state mandate that included food education may have had an impact on reducing obesity levels among youth.
Passed in 2007, the Mississippi Healthy Students Act mandates that schools statewide provide a minimum of 45 minutes of health education, including nutrition and physical activity, per week.
To help schools comply with the act, the Mississippi Office of Healthy Schools created a list of approved supplemental resources including curricula, training, and equipment for educators.
According to a report by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the percentage of schools with at least 75 percent of students receiving health education doubled between 2006 and 2008.
A study in 2011 found a decrease in the prevalence of overweight and obesity for elementary age and adolescent children, a reversal after decades of steady increases. While the school environment is not the only factor in reducing obesity levels—home environment obviously also plays a major role—the combination of education and changes in the school food environment have almost certainly contributed to these outcomes.
Mississippi has even received encouragement for their efforts around health promotion and food education by First Lady Michelle Obama, who made a special point of stopping in Clinton, MS, in February of 2013 as part of her “Let’s Move” tour. Mrs. Obama praised the state for a 13% drop in obesity rates among the general population since 2005.
About the author: Catherine Kastleman is the project coordinator for Food Day.
Photo credit: The Mississippi Link
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!
- Are You Fed Up?
- Steal My Meals - A Natural Extension To A Love Of Cooking
- Getting Kids Excited About Real Food In Sweden
- FRD2014 Onboard The JOFF Big Rig In San Diego