National School Lunch WeekMon 15 Oct 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
This week is National School Lunch Week, with Wednesday being Take Your Parents to School Lunch Day.
What better time to go down to your local schools and find out what is on the menu, and see what has changed since the new meal regulations came in this fall?
So why not get in touch with your school and make arrangements to eat lunch there one day this week. While you are there you can talk to students and lunch staff and find out what’s changed this year and how they are finding the new meals. You can also find out how you can help support the new meal standards, whether it’s organising taste tests, helping to market the new standards or explaining to other parents that these changes are positive ones. And while you are there don’t forget to visit your lunch ladies and thank them for all that they do!
What Do The New School Meals Look Like?
We want to see what the new school meals look like in your school and shine a positive light on those schools that are making head way and coming up with creative options to meet the new standards. We also want to show how schools are making these changes and how we can support others in doing so too.
Send us your pictures!
While visiting your school cafeteria this week be sure to take a camera and snap some photos of the new school meals. You can then send your photos to us at email@example.com or share them with us by:
• Posting your photos on our Food Revolution Community facebook page
• Tweet your pictures to us at @foodrev using the hash tags #foodrevolution and #schoolfoodsrule
• Add your pictures to Pinterest and G+ using the hash tags #foodrevolution and #schoolfoodsrule
By doing so you’ll be helping us highlight school lunches from all over America on our Pinterest board 'School Foods Rule'.
You can also join the USDA’s ‘Eat and Tweet’ campaign – eat lunch at your school and tweet your photos of it using the hash tag #schoolfoodsrule.
Get the Facts
If you want to find out more about the food served at your school and want to help really making a difference in getting more real food in the cafeteria then why not download our NEW and updated school food toolkits and start by getting the facts at your school, finding out all about the school lunch program and new meal standards and doing an audit on your schools food system.
Happy National School Lunch Week!
The Food Revolution Team
- Pilot Light Chefs Spark Food Education In Chicago
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success
- Food Truth Chefs Visit Food Literacy Center
- January 2015: New Year, New Challenges
- Making Wellness Happen In Forest Hills, Queens
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Start The New Year Right
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions