National School Lunch WeekMon 15 Oct 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
This week is National School Lunch Week, with Wednesday being Take Your Parents to School Lunch Day.
What better time to go down to your local schools and find out what is on the menu, and see what has changed since the new meal regulations came in this fall?
So why not get in touch with your school and make arrangements to eat lunch there one day this week. While you are there you can talk to students and lunch staff and find out what’s changed this year and how they are finding the new meals. You can also find out how you can help support the new meal standards, whether it’s organising taste tests, helping to market the new standards or explaining to other parents that these changes are positive ones. And while you are there don’t forget to visit your lunch ladies and thank them for all that they do!
What Do The New School Meals Look Like?
We want to see what the new school meals look like in your school and shine a positive light on those schools that are making head way and coming up with creative options to meet the new standards. We also want to show how schools are making these changes and how we can support others in doing so too.
Send us your pictures!
While visiting your school cafeteria this week be sure to take a camera and snap some photos of the new school meals. You can then send your photos to us at email@example.com or share them with us by:
• Posting your photos on our Food Revolution Community facebook page
• Tweet your pictures to us at @foodrev using the hash tags #foodrevolution and #schoolfoodsrule
• Add your pictures to Pinterest and G+ using the hash tags #foodrevolution and #schoolfoodsrule
By doing so you’ll be helping us highlight school lunches from all over America on our Pinterest board 'School Foods Rule'.
You can also join the USDA’s ‘Eat and Tweet’ campaign – eat lunch at your school and tweet your photos of it using the hash tag #schoolfoodsrule.
Get the Facts
If you want to find out more about the food served at your school and want to help really making a difference in getting more real food in the cafeteria then why not download our NEW and updated school food toolkits and start by getting the facts at your school, finding out all about the school lunch program and new meal standards and doing an audit on your schools food system.
Happy National School Lunch Week!
The Food Revolution Team
- The 3rd Annual SWAT Cook-Off 2014
- Chinese-Processed Chicken In School Meals
- How Scholarships For Groceries Aim To Impact Food Deserts
- Common Threads' World Festival
- Calling All Moms, Parents, Advocates!
- The Cycle Of Giving
- What Does The Food Movement Mean To You?
- Food Revolution Day - Let's Get Kids Excited About Food
- Breathing Energy And Life Into Real Food And Education
- The Big Rig Comes To The City Of Angels
- Feed Me Dearly: The Power Of Good Food
- Empowering High Schoolers To Make Better Food Choices
- April’s Monthly Challenges
- The Global Food Revolution Continues
- Eating To Live
- Quality Time On The Mobile Teaching Big Rig
- Fast Food Advertising: It’s Time To Start Paying Attention
- Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Fancy Water
- How The Circus Turned My Picky Eater Into A Food Lover
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem