National School Lunch WeekMon 15 Oct 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
This week is National School Lunch Week, with Wednesday being Take Your Parents to School Lunch Day.
What better time to go down to your local schools and find out what is on the menu, and see what has changed since the new meal regulations came in this fall?
So why not get in touch with your school and make arrangements to eat lunch there one day this week. While you are there you can talk to students and lunch staff and find out what’s changed this year and how they are finding the new meals. You can also find out how you can help support the new meal standards, whether it’s organising taste tests, helping to market the new standards or explaining to other parents that these changes are positive ones. And while you are there don’t forget to visit your lunch ladies and thank them for all that they do!
What Do The New School Meals Look Like?
We want to see what the new school meals look like in your school and shine a positive light on those schools that are making head way and coming up with creative options to meet the new standards. We also want to show how schools are making these changes and how we can support others in doing so too.
Send us your pictures!
While visiting your school cafeteria this week be sure to take a camera and snap some photos of the new school meals. You can then send your photos to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or share them with us by:
• Posting your photos on our Food Revolution Community facebook page
• Tweet your pictures to us at @foodrev using the hash tags #foodrevolution and #schoolfoodsrule
• Add your pictures to Pinterest and G+ using the hash tags #foodrevolution and #schoolfoodsrule
By doing so you’ll be helping us highlight school lunches from all over America on our Pinterest board 'School Foods Rule'.
You can also join the USDA’s ‘Eat and Tweet’ campaign – eat lunch at your school and tweet your photos of it using the hash tag #schoolfoodsrule.
Get the Facts
If you want to find out more about the food served at your school and want to help really making a difference in getting more real food in the cafeteria then why not download our NEW and updated school food toolkits and start by getting the facts at your school, finding out all about the school lunch program and new meal standards and doing an audit on your schools food system.
Happy National School Lunch Week!
The Food Revolution Team
- A Quiet Revolution
- Food Revolution Day At Work In The Netherlands
- The Disco Salad In Vienna On May 17
- Creating A Waterfall Of Real Food, Cooking And Food Education
- Food For Thought On Food Revolution Day.
- Revolutionizing Food In Richmond
- Food Tasting For FRD2013 At Roehampton University
- Learning Knife Skills And Life Skills In Pittsburgh
- The Family Dinner Challenge
- A Potluck Of Fun For Food Revolution Day
- Jamie's Italian Celebrates Food Revolution Day
- The Ultimate Italian Supper For Food Revolution Day
- Announcing June’s Monthly Challenges
- Promoting The Mission For Better Food In Devon
- 'Mr. Zee's Apple Factory' Teaches Kids About Processed Food
- WITS Celebrates Food Revolution Day With Seasonal Greens
- Food Revolution Day In North Carolina Grows Even Stronger!
- 74 Countries Celebrate Food Revolution Day
- World Health Assembly Adopts New Targets
- Hong Kong Hungers For Better Food & Food Education