Nutrition Provisions In The Farm BillWed 19 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
Last week we reported that President Obama had signed the long awaited Farm Bill into law.
The final bill saw $8.5 billion cut from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formally known as food stamps. Whilst these cuts will drastically impact hundreds and thousands of families who rely on food and nutrition assistance, here’s some information on what provisions were included within the bill…
SNAP Nutrition Education
The farm bill protected SNAP nutrition education (SNAP-Ed), with no funding cuts or harmful policy changes. State SNAP agencies receive federal funding to provide nutrition education and obesity prevention activities to SNAP participants and other low-income households.
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables for School and Service Institutions
Reauthorized the Fresh Fruits and Vegetables program (FFVP) through 2018. This program provides free fresh fruits and vegetables to students in participating elementary schools during the school day. Find out more about the FFVP here.
Farm to School Pilots
Provides the authority for Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) to conduct a pilot project in 5 US regions to provide states with the flexibility to use multiple suppliers and products and by allowing geographic preference for the procurement of unprocessed fruits and vegetables for school nutrition programs (USDA commodity foods).
The USDA is already conducting pilot projects in Michigan and Florida for the purpose of developing new methods for local procurement, including allowing schools to specifically request local products.
Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program
Extends this nutrition incentive program for low-income seniors through 2018 with $20m per year in funding.
Pilot Project for Canned, Frozen, or Dried Fruits and Vegetables
Under this pilot, schools in five states would test the use of canned, frozen, or dried fruits and vegetables as part of the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program. An evaluation of the pilot project would be required.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine
- Join In On The Fun At The Kids Food Festival
- A Naturally Sweet School Valentine's Day