One Month Until Food Day 2012Mon 24 Sep 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Food Day shoots for thousands of events in second year.
Organizers of Food Day are anticipating thousands of events big and small for the nationwide celebration and movement toward healthy, sustainable, and affordable food going into its second year, with over 800 events already on the map.
From presentations for healthy eating on a budget, to whole Universities hosting a weeks’ worth of events, Food Day celebrations are being planned all across the U.S. In Massachusetts, more than 200 school nutrition directors in 45 school districts are committed to participate in Food Day and will challenge students to "Eat Real" on October 24 and in Denver, the Denver Botanical Gardens, along with Denver Urban Gardens and other community partners, and with the support of Chipotle, will hold a free all-day festival with hands-on cooking demos for adults and kids and film screenings.
Pour One Out
The Center for Science in the Public Interest, the nonprofit providing national coordination for Food Day, is encouraging groups of young people to hold "Pour One Out" events, where participants get rid of cans or bottles of sugary soda. The group is also convening a conference on the future of food, which will be held at the United States Capitol Visitor Center. Hosted by Representative Chellie Pingree (D-ME), the Future of Food conference will ask leading thinkers on nutrition, agriculture, and economics to forecast what the food system might look like by the year 2050.
"The celebratory aspect of Food Day will help bring people in, but we want people to go away from Food Day events inspired about how they can change their diets for the better or how they can organize to solve food-related problems in their communities," said CSPI executive director Michael F. Jacobson. "It's a great opportunity for legislators, mayors, health departments, and governors to announce new initiatives increasing citizens' access to healthy, affordable food."
Are you planning to celebrate Food Day on October 24th? Be sure to register your event on the map, or search for one in your area to join.
Here’s to eating real!
The Food Revolution Team
- Top Tips For Food Education
- Happy Food Literacy Month California!
- The Mount Desert Island Hospital Food Revolution Heats Up
- Big Changes In UK School Food
- More Outdoor Dining Moments From Across The Globe
- September Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words