Our First Global Day Of ActionWed 19 Dec 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Food Revolution Day 2012
Little did we know when we embarked upon our first global day of action at the start of the year that Food Revolution Day would define the rest of our year so positively and show us the power of a day to rally volunteers, schools, individuals, families, organizations and students in support of great, local food, reinvigorating the transfer of skills, knowledge and resources and most of all shining a light on how essential food skills are and the need for better food education.
With a reach of over 14.6 million through social media @FoodRev was the third most mentioned user on Twitter globally on Food Revolution Day, May 19. Celebrities stepped up to add their voice including Joe Jonas, Stephen Fry, Sarah Brown, Ashton Kutcher, Gwyneth Paltrow, Adrian Grenier, Alyssa Milano and Richard Branson. Organizations including Google, Virgin Unite, Zynga, Global Changemakers, One Young World and Penguin joined forces to activate their staff, networks, host in-office events and spread the word. It was a united day of positivity in ways to harness the best of our food environments.
Whilst the first Food Revolution Day was just one day, it is also about a year round movement that continues to grow and develop as we head towards Food Revolution Day 2013. Helping us grow the message and effect local change globally on a monthly basis are our voluntary ambassadors. Right now we have 383 Ambassadors in 66 countries, they are truly inspirational, taking the time out of their busy lives to work within their communities to improve food and school food standards, promote local initiatives and producers, raise awareness of our food environment and simple ways to make positive changes including getting everyone cooking.
2012 Event Highlights
• Dusseldorf, Germany - BETTER burger THAN fast food.
• Birmingham, United Kingdom - How to Cook: Soups and Slow Cook.
• Kranii, Singapore - Local Farms Visit.
• Beijing, China - Organic Food Fair at The Hutong.
• Oakland, California, US - Back to the Roots’ Mushroom Farm Tour.
• New York, New York, US - Build a Farmers Market Feast.
• Gainesville, Florida, US - Garden Workshop: Composting Vermiculture.
• Elyria, Ohio, US - Serve Lorain County a Garden.
• Beirut, Lebanon- Souk El Tayeb.
• San Francisco, CA Ferry Building Farmer’s Market – tour, demos and classes.
• Food Revolution Day Sao Paulo - 3 restaurants launched a special menu.
• Java, Indonesia, - Food education and cooking classes.
• Nairobi, Kenya - food education session to highlight local produce and traditional foods.
• Calabasas, California, US - Food Revolution Kid’s Day at the Calabasas Farmers Market.
• Melbourne, Australia - Joe Cross from ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ healthy eating talk.
• Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, San Francisco, US - Farmers’ Market Boot Camp with Darya Pino.
• Caracas, Venezuela, – educational day including panel discussion.
Food Revolution Day 2013
We are getting ready and set for Food Revolution Day 2013, next year on Friday May 17, so make sure you save the date and spread the word.
We want everyone to get cooking, see food skills as a key life skill and think about ways in which you can support the great food and education initiatives existing in your community. Raising awareness so that people know they are making the best choices is a key way to empowering this generation and the next.
Look out for updates on www.foodrevolutionday.com in the coming months as we begin the countdown to May!
The Food Revolution Team
Top right:The Well Gro Co
Bottom right: Calabasas Farmers' Market
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table