Real Food Leaders Unite At One Young WorldMon 22 Oct 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Last week, Jamie was joined by some amazing leaders in the real food movement to talk about the global Food Revolution and how we can all shape a better future at the One Young World Conference in Pittsburgh.
Joining Jamie for this inspiring conversation, moderated by Betsy Benson of Pittsburgh Magazine were:
• Michiel Bakker, Director of Global Food Services, Google
• Lilia Smelkova, Food Day Campaign Manager, Center for Science in the Public Interest
• Éilis O'Reilly, Instructor, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health
• Kim Kessler, Food Policy Co‐ordinator, NY Mayor's Office
• Mark Crumpacker, Chief Marketing Officer, Chipotle Mexican Grill
• Dr. Michael Parkinson, Senior Medical Director, UPMC Health Plan & Work Partners, Pittsburgh
The conversation ranged from food education to food policy, the medical, social and economic costs of obesity and diet related diseases, and how everyone has a role to play in turning this course.
Watch the full conversation and great questions and comments from OYW delegates and young leaders here.
Shaping A Better Future
“If we can combine our efforts and unify our expertise, together we can continue the Food Revolution’s amazing work in getting food education at the top of everyone’s agenda.” Jamie O
“Google's vision for its Food program is to inspire the world to use food experiences and choices to develop more sustainable lifestyles and communities.” Michiel Bakker
“NYC's food policy aims to increase access to healthy foods, promote food security, and improve the sustainability of our food system” Kim Kessler
“Optimizing personal, family, business and community performance begins by creating environments which make the right choice the easy choice in all things ‘health’” Michael Parkinson
“We need to raise awareness about food issues, improve food policies on all levels, and get diverse groups to collaborate for faster progress.” Lilia Smelkova
“The Department of Nutrition at Harvard strives to improve the health of individuals worldwide through multidisciplinary research and training, international collaboration, and public health policy initiatives and outreach. “ Éilis O'Reilly
“Chipotle is working to "Cultivate a Better World" by making wholesome, unprocessed food available to everyone. Our vision is to Change the way people think about and eat fast food.” Mark Crumpacker
Food Revolution Day 2013
During the conference, Jamie also announced the date for Food Revolution Day 2013 – May 17th! Now’s the time to start thinking about how you’ll be standing up for real food and empowering and inspiring your community to do the same on May 17th next year, find out more at www.foodrevolutionday.com.
The Food Revolution Team
Images taken from @erinschrode and Havas PR
- Big Love, Big Thanks!
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyone’s Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing May’s Monthly Challenges