School Lunch Standards At RiskTue 20 May 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Over the past few years, there have been huge improvements made to the school food served in America, with significant updates to the nutrition standards for school lunch for the first time in 15 years. However, these improvements are now at risk
Recent reports have found that 90% of schools across America meeting the new guidelines for school lunch and many schools already making snack food and beverages healthier too. Yet this week Congress may vote to weaken these standards.
Instead of helping struggling schools to meet these new standards and improve the health of American children, Congress may well instead lower the bar, arguing that providing health food to students is too much of a burden.
Here's what's at stake:
• Nutrition standards that took effect this year that have added more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables to school meals, while limiting sodium, saturated fats, and trans fats.
• Nutrition standards for foods and beverages sold in school vending machines, a la carte lines, and snack bars that are set to take effect next year.
Act today by signing this petition and letting Congress know that school lunch is off limits. Sign the petition (set up by the CSPI) at http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
Given current childhood obesity and diet-related disease statistics, we can’t afford to go back to pizza and French fries 5 times a week.
Share on Social Media!
Join us in telling Congress: school lunch is off limits. Don’t play politics with children’s health. http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X #SaveSchoolLunch
First Congress declared pizza a vegetable...now this: http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X #SaveSchoolLunch
Please Congress: protect children’s health. Nutrition should be the standard for school lunch, not politics. http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
First Congress legislated that pizza is a vegetable in the school lunch program. Now they want to take vegetables out of school lunch – and gut the standards for salt, whole grains and snacks. Tell Congress to stop playing politics with our children’s health! http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
Join us in telling Congress: don’t play politics with children’s health and weaken school lunch nutrition standards. Then spread the word. http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!