School Lunch Standards At RiskTue 20 May 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Over the past few years, there have been huge improvements made to the school food served in America, with significant updates to the nutrition standards for school lunch for the first time in 15 years. However, these improvements are now at risk
Recent reports have found that 90% of schools across America meeting the new guidelines for school lunch and many schools already making snack food and beverages healthier too. Yet this week Congress may vote to weaken these standards.
Instead of helping struggling schools to meet these new standards and improve the health of American children, Congress may well instead lower the bar, arguing that providing health food to students is too much of a burden.
Here's what's at stake:
• Nutrition standards that took effect this year that have added more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables to school meals, while limiting sodium, saturated fats, and trans fats.
• Nutrition standards for foods and beverages sold in school vending machines, a la carte lines, and snack bars that are set to take effect next year.
Act today by signing this petition and letting Congress know that school lunch is off limits. Sign the petition (set up by the CSPI) at http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
Given current childhood obesity and diet-related disease statistics, we can’t afford to go back to pizza and French fries 5 times a week.
Share on Social Media!
Join us in telling Congress: school lunch is off limits. Don’t play politics with children’s health. http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X #SaveSchoolLunch
First Congress declared pizza a vegetable...now this: http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X #SaveSchoolLunch
Please Congress: protect children’s health. Nutrition should be the standard for school lunch, not politics. http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
First Congress legislated that pizza is a vegetable in the school lunch program. Now they want to take vegetables out of school lunch – and gut the standards for salt, whole grains and snacks. Tell Congress to stop playing politics with our children’s health! http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
Join us in telling Congress: don’t play politics with children’s health and weaken school lunch nutrition standards. Then spread the word. http://chn.ge/1ll7k1X
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’