School Lunch Standards At Risk: UpdatesTue 24 Jun 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Last month, we reported that newly updated school lunch nutrition standards were at risk. Sadly things have not improved since then. Despite huge efforts by hundreds of organisations, thousands of individuals and some members of Congress these standards which would go a long way to improve nutritional shortfalls of kids today remain at risk.
Act today and tell Congress not to gut school lunch standards and damage kids health.
Find out more about the efforts to excuse schools from meeting these nutritional standards and how you can act to prevent such action here.
A Round up of School Lunch News
Since news broke of these important school nutrition standards being at risk, the conversation has been non-stop.
You can join in online with #SaveSchoolLunch and below are a few great articles outlining the situation.
Alice Waters: The Fate of Our Nation Rests on School Lunches | TIME
Michelle Obama: The Campaign for Junk Food Michelle Obama on Attempts to Roll Back Healthy Reforms | The New York Times
Mark Bittman: Kids and | The New York Times
Bettina Siegel: House Committee Approves Healthy School Meals Waiver; 19 Past Presidents Break With School Nutrition Association | The Lunch Tray
Jerry Hagstrom: It's Time to Protect School-Cafeteria Workers From Their Own Food Fight | National Journal
Major Gen. Tracy Strevey: National Security Will Suffer With Derailment of School Nutrition Standards | Roll Call
Bettina Siegel: Will Change in House Leadership Affect the School Food Debate? (And More Kid-Food News) | The Lunch Tray
Child obesity rates are at record-high levels and many students rely on school lunch for good nutrition, we can't afford to undo all the hard work to improve school lunch and the health of kids across the U.S. Act today to help save school lunch.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Images: School Foods Rule Pinterest Board
- Something For Lunch. Too Much To Ask For Kiwi Kids?
- Dirty Hands Can Lead To Healthy Hearts.
- TEDxManhattan: Changing The Way We Eat
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Prepare For Success
- Food Truth Chefs Visit Food Literacy Center
- January 2015: New Year, New Challenges
- Making Wellness Happen In Forest Hills, Queens
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Start The New Year Right
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays