Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner SeriesThu 28 Aug 2014
Story by Stephanie Owens
Seasons of Seafood Education Series is a free program created by Food Revolution Ambassador Stephanie Owens and Seattle Restaurateur Bryan Jarr that gives kids ages 8-13 an opportunity to cook with a premier Seattle chef, learn about local seafood and where it comes from, all in the famous Seattle Pike Place Market.
Upon arrival at the market, the kids are divided in to 3 groups. Over the next 2 ½ hours, they will rotate between 3 different stations.
First they will cook with a premier Seattle chef in the Market Atrium kitchen. They get hands on experience with creating fresh and healthy seafood dishes and get to experience working with a real chef. Some examples of items they will make include salmon burgers, tuna salad, macaroni salad, etc.
Then they move to the education portion where they meet with a University of Washington Fisheries doctorate and learn about fisheries, how fish are raised and caught, and specifically the origins of the fish they are cooking that day.
Lastly, they visit the famous Pike Place Fish Guys. The kids see how a fish stand is managed in the very busy Pike Place Market, and get a behind the scenes tour of the store. They might even get to catch a fish during a sale!
At the end of the program, all of the kids come back together to eat the lunch they helped prepare.
The program had its inaugural cooking class on June 24, 2014 and will have 3 more classes throughout 2014. The programs correlate to the fish seasons and local fish releases.
The program is funded by the Seasons of Seafood Dinner Series. On the same day as the education cooking class, there is an upscale dinner held in the same venue. Once the kids leave, the venue is transformed into a beautiful dining room where adults experience a 4 course seafood dinner and wine pairing, prepared by the same premier chef that hosted the morning’s cooking class.
About the author: Stephanie Owens has been a Food Revolution ambassador for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation since March of 2014. Stephanie has combined her professional event planning experience with her passion for teaching kids how to eat healthy. She loves getting kids excited about food and helping them to make good food choices. Her favorite students are her 3 and 4 year old daughters, Avery and Harper.
More info can be found at: www.facebook.com/seasonsofseafood
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Childhood Obesity Month Sets Stage For Healthy Schools
- Thought For Food - Tackling The Biggest Issues Facing Our Food
- Top Tips For Food Education
- Happy Food Literacy Month California!
- The Mount Desert Island Hospital Food Revolution Heats Up
- Big Changes In UK School Food
- More Outdoor Dining Moments From Across The Globe
- September Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!