Slow Food’s $5 ChallengeThu 25 Aug 2011
Story by Jerusha Klemperer
Slow Food USA Takes Back The Value Meal
Most of us struggle with the challenge of getting a healthy, fresh, delicious meal on the table for an affordable price. We all agree that healthy food shouldn’t have to cost more than fast food, and that it shouldn’t feel so much more difficult than picking up a value meal. We’d like the healthy choice to be the easy choice, for once.
In spite of these challenges, every day there are people all over the country who find a way to cook healthy food on a budget. It’s usually not easy—especially at first—but they’ve developed tips and tricks for stretching their food dollars, and decreasing the amount of time it takes to make a fresh and delicious meal. Slow Food USA wants to learn from those people, to share their wisdom—and then work together to make eating this way a reality for everyone every day.
So, on September 17, we’re asking you to take the challenge: get together with family and friends and cook a “slow food” meal for less than the cost of fast food. Know how? Teach others. Want to learn? This is your chance. You can host a potluck where nothing costs more than $5. You can cook for a crowd and charge $5 at the door. You can cook with your family for less than $5 per person. You get the idea – and so will thousands of others when we tell the stories we gather on this day.
This day will give us a clearer sense of what needs to change about the way food works, in order to make this a reality for everyone. Bringing families together around the table is the best way to build a movement of more enlightened eaters and more engaged citizens. We need both.
Join us! Over 2,000 people have already pledged to take the challenge! And in the coming weeks we’ll be providing avenues for you to share tips and tricks!
Together we can take back the value meal!
About the author: Jerusha Klemperer lives in New York City where she is the Associate Director of Programs at Slow Food USA. She blogs for the Huffington Post, WellandGoodNYC and her personal blog Eat Here 2.
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyone’s Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing May’s Monthly Challenges
- Teaching A Love Of Real Food Around The World