Slow Food’s $5 ChallengeThu 25 Aug 2011
Story by Jerusha Klemperer
Slow Food USA Takes Back The Value Meal
Most of us struggle with the challenge of getting a healthy, fresh, delicious meal on the table for an affordable price. We all agree that healthy food shouldn’t have to cost more than fast food, and that it shouldn’t feel so much more difficult than picking up a value meal. We’d like the healthy choice to be the easy choice, for once.
In spite of these challenges, every day there are people all over the country who find a way to cook healthy food on a budget. It’s usually not easy—especially at first—but they’ve developed tips and tricks for stretching their food dollars, and decreasing the amount of time it takes to make a fresh and delicious meal. Slow Food USA wants to learn from those people, to share their wisdom—and then work together to make eating this way a reality for everyone every day.
So, on September 17, we’re asking you to take the challenge: get together with family and friends and cook a “slow food” meal for less than the cost of fast food. Know how? Teach others. Want to learn? This is your chance. You can host a potluck where nothing costs more than $5. You can cook for a crowd and charge $5 at the door. You can cook with your family for less than $5 per person. You get the idea – and so will thousands of others when we tell the stories we gather on this day.
This day will give us a clearer sense of what needs to change about the way food works, in order to make this a reality for everyone. Bringing families together around the table is the best way to build a movement of more enlightened eaters and more engaged citizens. We need both.
Join us! Over 2,000 people have already pledged to take the challenge! And in the coming weeks we’ll be providing avenues for you to share tips and tricks!
Together we can take back the value meal!
About the author: Jerusha Klemperer lives in New York City where she is the Associate Director of Programs at Slow Food USA. She blogs for the Huffington Post, WellandGoodNYC and her personal blog Eat Here 2.
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges