Take Your Family To School WeekWed 08 Feb 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Next week, February 12-18 2012, is ‘PTA Take Your Family To School Week’. Each February this event is celebrated to pay tribute to PTA’s legacy of building family-school partnerships, and provides schools with an avenue to invite families in, with the purpose of expanding and enhancing family engagement in schools across the country.
Visiting your children’s school is a great way to become part of the school community. Once on site, you can find out more about their education and school routine. It’s also a great chance to see exactly what food is available to them during their hours at school each day and what nutrition, health and culinary education your kids are getting. You might also connect with some other Food Revolutionaries!
Do Your Schools’ Meals Meet the USDA Guidelines?
At the end of January, the long awaited final USDA school meal standards were released which will come into the play in the cafeteria this fall. So as we enter the school year 2012-2013 all schools across the country will have to assess and, where needed, change their menus to meet these new standards, including:
• Doubling the amount of fruit and vegetable servings and increasing the variety of vegetables
• Setting new standards to ensure an increase in servings of whole grains and reduce sodium and fat
• Requiring that only fat-free or low-fat milk varieties are available
• Set calorie standards based on the age of children being served to ensure proper portion sizes
Now is a perfect time to visit your children’s school and see whether their meal programs already meet these new USDA standards, and if not what they need to change and how these changes will impact the health of your kids.
So next week, why not join in the PTA ‘Take Your Family To School Week’, check out what is in the cafeteria, do our “school food audit” and connect with other parents and revolutionaries, along with lunch staff and school officials to help your school reach these standards and beyond.
Help Build A Powerful Showcase Of School Lunches
While in school, don’t forget to snap a picture of the meals served in your schools and add them to our school lunch photo wall to help us build a powerful showcase of school lunches, which we can use to compare for years to come and when these new rules are fully implemented.
Let us know how you get on visiting your school by posting on our Food Revolution Community page.
The Food Revolution Team
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine
- Join In On The Fun At The Kids Food Festival