The 3rd Annual SWAT Cook-Off 2014Wed 16 Apr 2014
Story by Rhonda Meade
The Welborn Baptist Foundation’s HEROES initiative recently held the Third Annual SWAT (Student Wellness Awareness Team) Cook-Off for the high schools that are involved in the HEROES initiative. All of the participating high schools have established SWAT groups within their school.
These groups are student led/student driven teams, facilitated by a staff advisor (SWAT Commander), that are organized to promote, advocate, and develop wellness policies and programs and healthy behaviors within the school and community. The teams also assess the health needs of their prospective school community, identify priorities, and then plan health promotion strategies and activities that build healthy skills and knowledge.
The SWAT Cook-Off event consisted of a team of 2 to 4 students from each participating high school. These teams created an original healthy recipe, which includes the three main ingredients - pork tenderloin, pear and a winter squash. The schools competed to be the school with the healthiest and tastiest entrée. Local celebrities served on the judge panel, and following the event, everyone attended an Evansville Icemen hockey game. All teams went on the ice at intermission, where the winner was announced and the trophy was awarded.
The winning recipe: Chipotle Pork Tenderloin and Butternut Squash Tacos.
The HEROES (Healthy, Energetic, Ready, Outstanding, Enthusiastic Schools) Initiative assists schools in changing their culture by implementing the eight components of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s Coordinated School Health Model, increasing health awareness, and presenting lifelong healthy habits to all school students and staff. The Welborn Baptist Foundation provides grants to non-profit organizations that significantly contribute to improving health and education in a fourteen county area of SE Illinois, SW Indiana, and Western Kentucky.
About the Author: Rhonda Meade is the Director of the Healthy Schools Initiative, HEROES, for the Welborn Baptist Foundation in Evansville, IN.
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table