The Big Rig Heads South For SpringThu 01 May 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
Last week we wrapped up four weeks of classes on the Big Rig in South Los Angeles. We received a wonderful response from local schools that were just minutes from the Big Rig’s station at Martin Luther King Jr. Medical Center. Both elementary school students from Barack Obama Charter School and high schoolers from King-Drew Medical Magnet equally enjoyed their time in on the Big Rig. As one Los Angeles participant told us, the Big Rig is “An awesome experience for all ages!”.
We had a few people from the neighborhood take all 12 classes we offer! Whether they were trying to learning some new healthy recipes or give Mom a break and cook for themselves, these local supporters truly inspired our Food Champions as they watched their skills develop. Keep your eye out for some blog posts from these Big Rig enthusiasts!
The Big Rig is committed to giving people kitchen confidence. One participant told us, “The instructors and instructions were easy to understand and perform. This has been life changing and I see myself cooking more with naked goods and preparing scratch meals.”
We’re so proud of our local Food Champions for providing such excellent instruction and for creating a friendly, nurturing environment on the Big Rig. Another participant said of their class, “The recipe was easy to follow and I got the chance to experience the use of a vegetable that I have never tasted before.”
Young or old, there is always the opportunity to try something new in the kitchen - that is what the Big Rig is all about!
This week the Big Rig will be pulling into San Diego to complete it’s final leg of the tour at Herbert Hoover High School in the City Heights neighborhood. We have already received an incredible response from the San Diego community, with the local hospital and various youth groups eager to participate and we can’t wait to see San Diego joining the fun!
Find out more about the tour at www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/bigrig and follow @joffbigrig on both twitter and instagram for live updates from the tour in action.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 52 New Foods Challenge: Easy Soup Recipes
- Food Revolution Toronto: Teamwork For A Common Goal
- Easy Holiday No Bake Desserts
- December 2014 Monthly Challenges
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’