The Big Rig Mobile Kitchen Is On The Road!Fri 04 Oct 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
A flagship for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) and in partnership with The California Endowment, the ‘Big Rig Teaching Kitchen’ has been on the road since early September bringing food education, nutritious cooking skills, and real food dishes to local communities around California.
During its 40-week tour, the Big Rig is travelling to underserved communities from San Diego to Sacramento and has so far made stops at the Madera District Fair, Los Angeles County Fair, Kern County Fair (Bakersfield) and is currently in Fresno teaching the local community essential cooking skills. Follow the Big Rig and see pictures and videos from classes in action at @joffbigrig on both Twitter and Instagram.
The Big Rig will be on the road through to May next year inspiring local cooks of all ages to eat well through teacher training, basic home cooking classes, and take-home recipes. Check out the full schedule of stops here.
Here’s what some of our food champions, already learning on board the Big Rig, have to say…
“Tasty recipes using easy to find ingredients and they are easy to learn. These recipes make cooking fun and simple, turning everyone into home chefs – “What a concept!”
– Tara Hamilton
"Super-fast, fun recipes that are easy to make. I love the fresh fruit salad on top of the “All American Pancakes” – YUM!!!"
- Cynthia Hurenkamp
The Big Rig is on a mission to improve health and spread food education. Find out if it is coming to a community near you here and if you are in Fresno, then you can register for classes on the Big Rig Teaching Kitchen here.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- The US School Food Fight: An Update
- Blog Of The Month: The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Ambassador Of The Month: Getting Kids Excited To Cook
- The UK School Food Plan - Year One
- Cooking Studio Brings Food Education To Taiwan
- Thanksgiving Leftovers For Breakfast
- Thanksgiving Food Traditions
- Eating Real For The Holidays
- LAUSD: Smarter Lunchrooms
- Five Healthy Snack Ideas For Your Holiday Table
- Berkeley Passes Soda Tax
- Diaries From The Chicago Food Day 2014
- The Revolution Is Just Beginning
- RUSD Revolutionizes Children's Eating Behaviors
- Reinventing School Lunches In Chestnut Hill
- World Diabetes Day – ‘Off To The Right Start’
- Five New Side Dishes For Your Holiday Table
- Good Food Org Guide Lists Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
- The 52 New Foods Challenge
- Jamie Calls For An 'ambush' In Food Education Fight