The Big Rig Mobile Kitchen Is On The Road!Fri 04 Oct 2013
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
A flagship for the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) and in partnership with The California Endowment, the ‘Big Rig Teaching Kitchen’ has been on the road since early September bringing food education, nutritious cooking skills, and real food dishes to local communities around California.
During its 40-week tour, the Big Rig is travelling to underserved communities from San Diego to Sacramento and has so far made stops at the Madera District Fair, Los Angeles County Fair, Kern County Fair (Bakersfield) and is currently in Fresno teaching the local community essential cooking skills. Follow the Big Rig and see pictures and videos from classes in action at @joffbigrig on both Twitter and Instagram.
The Big Rig will be on the road through to May next year inspiring local cooks of all ages to eat well through teacher training, basic home cooking classes, and take-home recipes. Check out the full schedule of stops here.
Here’s what some of our food champions, already learning on board the Big Rig, have to say…
“Tasty recipes using easy to find ingredients and they are easy to learn. These recipes make cooking fun and simple, turning everyone into home chefs – “What a concept!”
– Tara Hamilton
"Super-fast, fun recipes that are easy to make. I love the fresh fruit salad on top of the “All American Pancakes” – YUM!!!"
- Cynthia Hurenkamp
The Big Rig is on a mission to improve health and spread food education. Find out if it is coming to a community near you here and if you are in Fresno, then you can register for classes on the Big Rig Teaching Kitchen here.
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions