The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal StopThu 27 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
The Big Rig has honked “goodbye” to the California capitol, wrapping up its four-week stay in Sacramento.
There was an amazing response from the Sacramento community – classes were fully booked nearly two weeks before they even began! Due to the incredible response, the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) and The California Endowment extended it’s stay and added five full days of classes!
During its stay at Sacramento Charter High School, the Big Rig taught over 1,200 people, including over 500 students from the high school. One participant told us, “Food is fun, is fuel, I will live a healthier life if I stop and think about what I eat, and the Big Rig gave me the confidence I needed to cook it myself and to taste the difference of using fresh ingredients!”
The Big Rig left behind fun memories and healthy, tasty recipes as it headed south to it’s next stop – Merced, CA.
Last week, the Big Rig was set-up at Pioneer Elementary School in Merced with classes starting on Saturday, March 1. Right now, our nine Food Champions are finishing up their training to teach the 12 different classes that are offered on the Big Rig.
Students from the elementary school, along with more from a local middle school, will be taking classes each week. There will be visits from local community groups and city officials from Merced. We are very excited to be back in the Central Valley for the fourth of six stops on the Big Rig Tour!
Find out all about the Big Rig tour by following @joffbigrig on twitter and Instagram and visiting the tour webpage here.
February #BigRigTour Stats:
Madera County Fair, LA County Fair, Kern County Fair, Big Fresno Fair
Tour Stops: 4/6
Completed: Fresno, Bakersfield, Sacramento
In Progress: Merced
Upcoming: Los Angeles, San Diego
# Classes: 249
# Participants: 2,854
# Food Champions: 37
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!
- Ambassador Of The Month: Sándor From Hungary
- Blog Of The Month: These Girls Love Food
- School Lunch Standards At Risk: Updates
- FAVE - Improving Access To Healthy Foods
- How Jamie Oliver's Big Rig Tour Changed Our Lives
- June’s Monthly Challenges
- The 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour Around California!
- Are You Fed Up?
- Steal My Meals - A Natural Extension To A Love Of Cooking
- Getting Kids Excited About Real Food In Sweden
- FRD2014 Onboard The JOFF Big Rig In San Diego