The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal StopThu 27 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
The Big Rig has honked “goodbye” to the California capitol, wrapping up its four-week stay in Sacramento.
There was an amazing response from the Sacramento community – classes were fully booked nearly two weeks before they even began! Due to the incredible response, the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) and The California Endowment extended it’s stay and added five full days of classes!
During its stay at Sacramento Charter High School, the Big Rig taught over 1,200 people, including over 500 students from the high school. One participant told us, “Food is fun, is fuel, I will live a healthier life if I stop and think about what I eat, and the Big Rig gave me the confidence I needed to cook it myself and to taste the difference of using fresh ingredients!”
The Big Rig left behind fun memories and healthy, tasty recipes as it headed south to it’s next stop – Merced, CA.
Last week, the Big Rig was set-up at Pioneer Elementary School in Merced with classes starting on Saturday, March 1. Right now, our nine Food Champions are finishing up their training to teach the 12 different classes that are offered on the Big Rig.
Students from the elementary school, along with more from a local middle school, will be taking classes each week. There will be visits from local community groups and city officials from Merced. We are very excited to be back in the Central Valley for the fourth of six stops on the Big Rig Tour!
Find out all about the Big Rig tour by following @joffbigrig on twitter and Instagram and visiting the tour webpage here.
February #BigRigTour Stats:
Madera County Fair, LA County Fair, Kern County Fair, Big Fresno Fair
Tour Stops: 4/6
Completed: Fresno, Bakersfield, Sacramento
In Progress: Merced
Upcoming: Los Angeles, San Diego
# Classes: 249
# Participants: 2,854
# Food Champions: 37
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
- Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council