The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal StopThu 27 Feb 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
The Big Rig has honked “goodbye” to the California capitol, wrapping up its four-week stay in Sacramento.
There was an amazing response from the Sacramento community – classes were fully booked nearly two weeks before they even began! Due to the incredible response, the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) and The California Endowment extended it’s stay and added five full days of classes!
During its stay at Sacramento Charter High School, the Big Rig taught over 1,200 people, including over 500 students from the high school. One participant told us, “Food is fun, is fuel, I will live a healthier life if I stop and think about what I eat, and the Big Rig gave me the confidence I needed to cook it myself and to taste the difference of using fresh ingredients!”
The Big Rig left behind fun memories and healthy, tasty recipes as it headed south to it’s next stop – Merced, CA.
Last week, the Big Rig was set-up at Pioneer Elementary School in Merced with classes starting on Saturday, March 1. Right now, our nine Food Champions are finishing up their training to teach the 12 different classes that are offered on the Big Rig.
Students from the elementary school, along with more from a local middle school, will be taking classes each week. There will be visits from local community groups and city officials from Merced. We are very excited to be back in the Central Valley for the fourth of six stops on the Big Rig Tour!
Find out all about the Big Rig tour by following @joffbigrig on twitter and Instagram and visiting the tour webpage here.
February #BigRigTour Stats:
Madera County Fair, LA County Fair, Kern County Fair, Big Fresno Fair
Tour Stops: 4/6
Completed: Fresno, Bakersfield, Sacramento
In Progress: Merced
Upcoming: Los Angeles, San Diego
# Classes: 249
# Participants: 2,854
# Food Champions: 37
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA) Team
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Childhood Obesity Month Sets Stage For Healthy Schools
- Thought For Food - Tackling The Biggest Issues Facing Our Food
- Top Tips For Food Education
- Happy Food Literacy Month California!
- The Mount Desert Island Hospital Food Revolution Heats Up
- Big Changes In UK School Food
- More Outdoor Dining Moments From Across The Globe
- September Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A