The Big Rig’s Sights Are Set On SacramentoTue 28 Jan 2014
Story by The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
It’s hard to believe it, but we’ve nearly reached the halfway mark in our 2013-2014 Big Rig Tour. As we’ve moved from Fresno to Bakersfield to our present stop in Sacramento, we’ve left behind fun memories, healthy recipes, and a force of local Food Champions to keep the Food Revolution going!
Since the Cooking Classroom kicked off in October, there have been 9,000 hours of free classes! We’ve had a lot of families take courses together and their stories about family are truly inspiring.
Nothing brings people together like food and the response to the tour so far has been very positive, as one participant from Bakersfield writes, “I found that cooking at home is a lot tastier, less wait and better for you I just always am in need of new ideas and this Big Rig helped me so much with that. I am very happy with my new skills!”
Classes kicked off on 1/21 at Sacramento Charter High School and they are 100% full! We are fortunate to have a great deal of youth involvement in this location.
Getting young people excited about healthy cooking
In addition to the nearly 400 Sacramento High students who will take the classes, we have a hefty handful of Girl Scout troops and other youth groups as well. It is very exciting to get so many young people in the kitchen!
A mother from Fresno told us our “instructors were amazing and positive towards my children. They left with a newfound love for cooking. Every day they are asking to create something in the kitchen. Thank you!”
Beyond the public classes, we are very excited to develop our Food Champion Community! In each tour location, a group of 8-10 individuals go through intensive training in Jamie’s recipes and then assist in our ‘Learn to Cook’ classes for the public.
These people come from a variety of backgrounds, from nutrition students to former chefs to urban gardeners to enthusiastic foodies! What they all share is a love for food and cooking and the desire to make a difference. One of our Fresno Food Champions comments, “It is awesome to be a part of this movement and join with so many wonderful people helping people eat healthier.”
Stay tuned for updates on Sacramento classes and our Food Champions and follow @joffbigrig on both Twitter and Instagram for live updates and images of classes in action!
The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation (USA)
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions