Truck Joins Challengers 43rd Annual Pancake BreakfastThu 28 Jul 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
On July 16th, summer officially kicked off at the Challengers Boys and Girls Club in South Los Angeles. They celebrated their 43rd annual Pancake Breakfast and Community Health Fair. Corey Dantzler, President and CEO of the Club said, “The breakfast opens the doors to the community to see the club and what it offers, as well as show health services available to community members.”
The Food Revolution Mobile Teaching Kitchen stood front and center at Challengers, offering tours of the truck and healthy fruit smoothies to wash down the pancakes, eggs, sausage and bacon served by volunteers and staff at the Club.
About 500 smoothies were served—made with 90 bananas, 36 pounds of mixed fruit, 5 gallons of orange juice, a few quarts of yogurt and for some extra goodness, some oats!
Dantzler said that having the Mobile Teaching Kitchen open during the breakfast gave the community a chance to see what’s been happening on the “big rig” sitting in the parking lot. As many as three generations boarded the truck and most asked, “When can we sign up for cooking classes?”
Dantzler said the Truck’s presence helps to broaden the healthy eating message to the community. The chef instructors not only gave out smoothies, they also provided the recipe so families could take the information home and make it again.
The Truck is parked at Challengers for the summer and over 190 children are taking part in the 5-week hands-on cooking program. Challengers in South LA is the first of our stops for the Food Revolution Mobile Teaching Kitchen. It is run by the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation, in partnership with The California Endowment for their Healthy Communities program. Next stop is Long Beach, California in September.
The Food Revolution Team
Top left – Nei Assis, Chef Assistant making the smoothies.
Bottom left – Challengers Boys and Girls Club Pancake Breakfast in front of the truck.
Right - Rachel Bowen and Nora Stewart, both Chef Assistants, making the smoothies.
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!