Truck Joins Challengers 43rd Annual Pancake BreakfastThu 28 Jul 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
On July 16th, summer officially kicked off at the Challengers Boys and Girls Club in South Los Angeles. They celebrated their 43rd annual Pancake Breakfast and Community Health Fair. Corey Dantzler, President and CEO of the Club said, “The breakfast opens the doors to the community to see the club and what it offers, as well as show health services available to community members.”
The Food Revolution Mobile Teaching Kitchen stood front and center at Challengers, offering tours of the truck and healthy fruit smoothies to wash down the pancakes, eggs, sausage and bacon served by volunteers and staff at the Club.
About 500 smoothies were served—made with 90 bananas, 36 pounds of mixed fruit, 5 gallons of orange juice, a few quarts of yogurt and for some extra goodness, some oats!
Dantzler said that having the Mobile Teaching Kitchen open during the breakfast gave the community a chance to see what’s been happening on the “big rig” sitting in the parking lot. As many as three generations boarded the truck and most asked, “When can we sign up for cooking classes?”
Dantzler said the Truck’s presence helps to broaden the healthy eating message to the community. The chef instructors not only gave out smoothies, they also provided the recipe so families could take the information home and make it again.
The Truck is parked at Challengers for the summer and over 190 children are taking part in the 5-week hands-on cooking program. Challengers in South LA is the first of our stops for the Food Revolution Mobile Teaching Kitchen. It is run by the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation, in partnership with The California Endowment for their Healthy Communities program. Next stop is Long Beach, California in September.
The Food Revolution Team
Top left – Nei Assis, Chef Assistant making the smoothies.
Bottom left – Challengers Boys and Girls Club Pancake Breakfast in front of the truck.
Right - Rachel Bowen and Nora Stewart, both Chef Assistants, making the smoothies.
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council
- Childhood Obesity Month Sets Stage For Healthy Schools
- Thought For Food - Tackling The Biggest Issues Facing Our Food
- Top Tips For Food Education