UK Doctors Call For Soft Drinks Tax To Tackle ObesityMon 18 Feb 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Re-posted from www.jamieoliver.com
Jamie Oliver has responded to today’s call for sugary drinks to be more highly taxed in a bid to help prevent obesity in the UK.
Doctors from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, which represents nearly every doctor in the UK, want the price of sugary, fizzy drinks to increase by a fifth after they said that obesity “was the greatest public health crisis facing the UK.”
They also want a ban on unhealthy food in hospitals according to their report published in The Guardian. The academy also said the Government had been slow to respond to the fact that one-in-four adults in the UK is obese. The estimated income for the tax would help fund weight management programmes.
Jamie said: “This is the clearest warning sign yet that the medical profession is deeply concerned about obesity. We need action now to educate children and families on how to choose the right food to give them the best life chances.”
He added that the Royal College echoed his concerns and those expressed by many others and makes clear recommendations. “These could help prevent our children and future generations being condemned to a poorer quality of life, blighted by health problems as a result of obesity,” he continued.
Jamie concluded: “Many of us have long campaigned for food education to be integral to the curriculum and the recent announcement that it will become part of the curriculum in September 2014 is definitely progress. However, the job is not complete until it is firmly embedded for children of all ages and we begin to see a decline in childhood obesity.”
The report also called for councils to limit the number of fast food outlets around schools.
Read the original article here and find out more about the recent announcement that cookery and food education are becoming compulsory in UK schools again here.
The Food Revolution Team
- A Family In Fresno Meets The Big Rig
- The Food Revolution Pittsburgh Cooking Club: Year One
- Propelling A School Food Revolution!
- December’s Monthly Challenges
- School Food And Policy In The U.S.
- Jamie's Foundation In America And It's Global Impact
- #FoodRevThanks And Gratitude
- Change Is Happening In Pittsburgh!
- Meet Our Malaysian Food Hero
- Blog Of The Month: The Wednesday Chef
- Cooking Up Change In Fresno
- Food Revolution Shake Up In Vienna
- Food Education: Counting Colors Instead Of Calories
- Mira’s Young Chefs - Hands-on, Educational And Fun Cooking Classes
- What Do You Mean, “Whole Foods – The Store?”
- Hong Kong’s Food Education Program – Think.Cook.Save.
- Manifesto For Pupils' Snack In Romania
- November’s Monthly Challenges
- High Protein Snacks That Satisfy
- Halloween Treat - Rocky Road Kill Recipe!