UK Doctors Call For Soft Drinks Tax To Tackle ObesityMon 18 Feb 2013
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Re-posted from www.jamieoliver.com
Jamie Oliver has responded to today’s call for sugary drinks to be more highly taxed in a bid to help prevent obesity in the UK.
Doctors from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, which represents nearly every doctor in the UK, want the price of sugary, fizzy drinks to increase by a fifth after they said that obesity “was the greatest public health crisis facing the UK.”
They also want a ban on unhealthy food in hospitals according to their report published in The Guardian. The academy also said the Government had been slow to respond to the fact that one-in-four adults in the UK is obese. The estimated income for the tax would help fund weight management programmes.
Jamie said: “This is the clearest warning sign yet that the medical profession is deeply concerned about obesity. We need action now to educate children and families on how to choose the right food to give them the best life chances.”
He added that the Royal College echoed his concerns and those expressed by many others and makes clear recommendations. “These could help prevent our children and future generations being condemned to a poorer quality of life, blighted by health problems as a result of obesity,” he continued.
Jamie concluded: “Many of us have long campaigned for food education to be integral to the curriculum and the recent announcement that it will become part of the curriculum in September 2014 is definitely progress. However, the job is not complete until it is firmly embedded for children of all ages and we begin to see a decline in childhood obesity.”
The report also called for councils to limit the number of fast food outlets around schools.
Read the original article here and find out more about the recent announcement that cookery and food education are becoming compulsory in UK schools again here.
The Food Revolution Team
- Big Love, Big Thanks!
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyone’s Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing May’s Monthly Challenges