Unique, Healthy Ingredients: A Little Different, A Lot BeneficialFri 20 Jan 2012
Story by The Recipe Diva
New Year = new ideas! The goal of our recent #FoodRevParty was to inspire creative chitchat, specifically about the use of unique, healthy ingredients. What cooking tips can you incorporate into your routine that might improve health? What recipes can you add to the mix to increase nutritional value?
When foodies think “outside the box,” conversation can take on many different shapes and sizes. This week, #FoodRevParty goers shared opinions, gardening tips, humor, recipes, facts, brand recommendations and even favorite spices. Here are a few highlights:
Q1. @RecipeDiva What do you consider “unique” and healthy ingredients?
• @theorganictrail For me healthy is wholesome, unprocessed. Unique, something I’ve never tried to use…
• @1000plusone I think there's a familiar taste for every "unique" and exotic fruit/veggie.
Q2. @RecipeDiva: Kale is a “unique” ingredient packed full of nutrients & health benefits. Do you ever cook with it?
• @lanaprekprogram We grew kale for the first time this year. SUPER easy! I am a novice gardener. If I can do it, anyone can.
• @LZXpress There's a group in Mpls that wears kale (only) at the annual May Parade whole new image! #foodrevparty
Q3. @RecipeDiva Do pomegranates ever make it into your kitchen? It’s one of the healthiest fruits & packed full of antioxidants...& it’s unique!
• @theorganictrail One of my favorite pomegranate recipes. So yummy...even my kids liked it.
Q4. @RecipeDiva Another unique/healthy ingredient for conversation: flaxseed. Do you ever cook with it?
• @LZXpress This smoothie recipe uses flax seed oil. Is there a big difference in seed vs oil?
• @ChristysChomp Bobs Red Mill is a brand that is @ most grocery stores. Flaxseeds r already ground & ready 2 use! Very convenient.
Q5. @RecipeDiva: What unique/healthy ingredients are we overlooking as part of this convo? Other suggestions?
• @Ciocia Not foods but some spices: juniper berries, for e.g. easier to find now And galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves
• @twEatrite cilantro: rich herbal source of vitamin K + other goodness, in sandwiches, salads, all over!
• @ChristysChomp I am the cilantro queen! Hands-down my favorite herb.
• @1000plusone speaking of spices, I love sumac and find it very unique
***This month at TheRecipeDiva.com, more tips and ideas for creative cooking and “thinking outside the BOX.” Plus, take a quick survey for the chance to win an Oxo brand BOX Grater!***
About the author/host: The Recipe Diva (Jacqui McVey) is the creator and founder of TheRecipeDiva.com, a FREE global recipe sharing and social networking website for foodies, chefs and cooks. An online hub for numerous food experiences, TheRecipeDiva.com features a variety of cooking and lifestyle tips, daily helpful how-to's and online foodie forums. Most importantly, it serves as platform for foodies to share their recipes.
Photos: Images used in this post have been taken from TheRecipeDiva.com
- Let’s Get Food Education In Every School!
- Food Revolution Day 2013 Kicks Off Tomorrow!
- Work It! Food Revolution Day 2013 On The Job
- Nine Year Old Sadie Kick Starts A Food Revolution!
- Hangout With Jamie Oliver On Food Revolution Day!
- Host A School Activity With A Simple Lesson: Eat Good Food!
- Bringing Food Revolution Day To Campus
- One Meal Together: Stories From My Canadian Kitchen
- Making A Big Difference By Starting Small On #FRD2013
- Food Revolution Day Newry: Aiming Big For 2013
- A Key To Healthy Eating: Cook Together
- The Power Of Community For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Zynga Joins Food Revolution Day!
- A Simple Way To Join Food Revolution Day At Home
- A Real Food Picnic For Food Revolution Day 2013
- Orford Festival Of Food For Food Revolution Day
- Everyone’s Revolution: Eating Well For Less
- Make A Healthy Lunch This Food Revolution Day!
- Announcing May’s Monthly Challenges
- Teaching A Love Of Real Food Around The World