Unique, Healthy Ingredients: A Little Different, A Lot BeneficialFri 20 Jan 2012
Story by The Recipe Diva
New Year = new ideas! The goal of our recent #FoodRevParty was to inspire creative chitchat, specifically about the use of unique, healthy ingredients. What cooking tips can you incorporate into your routine that might improve health? What recipes can you add to the mix to increase nutritional value?
When foodies think “outside the box,” conversation can take on many different shapes and sizes. This week, #FoodRevParty goers shared opinions, gardening tips, humor, recipes, facts, brand recommendations and even favorite spices. Here are a few highlights:
Q1. @RecipeDiva What do you consider “unique” and healthy ingredients?
• @theorganictrail For me healthy is wholesome, unprocessed. Unique, something I’ve never tried to use…
• @1000plusone I think there's a familiar taste for every "unique" and exotic fruit/veggie.
Q2. @RecipeDiva: Kale is a “unique” ingredient packed full of nutrients & health benefits. Do you ever cook with it?
• @lanaprekprogram We grew kale for the first time this year. SUPER easy! I am a novice gardener. If I can do it, anyone can.
• @LZXpress There's a group in Mpls that wears kale (only) at the annual May Parade whole new image! #foodrevparty
Q3. @RecipeDiva Do pomegranates ever make it into your kitchen? It’s one of the healthiest fruits & packed full of antioxidants...& it’s unique!
• @theorganictrail One of my favorite pomegranate recipes. So yummy...even my kids liked it.
Q4. @RecipeDiva Another unique/healthy ingredient for conversation: flaxseed. Do you ever cook with it?
• @LZXpress This smoothie recipe uses flax seed oil. Is there a big difference in seed vs oil?
• @ChristysChomp Bobs Red Mill is a brand that is @ most grocery stores. Flaxseeds r already ground & ready 2 use! Very convenient.
Q5. @RecipeDiva: What unique/healthy ingredients are we overlooking as part of this convo? Other suggestions?
• @Ciocia Not foods but some spices: juniper berries, for e.g. easier to find now And galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves
• @twEatrite cilantro: rich herbal source of vitamin K + other goodness, in sandwiches, salads, all over!
• @ChristysChomp I am the cilantro queen! Hands-down my favorite herb.
• @1000plusone speaking of spices, I love sumac and find it very unique
***This month at TheRecipeDiva.com, more tips and ideas for creative cooking and “thinking outside the BOX.” Plus, take a quick survey for the chance to win an Oxo brand BOX Grater!***
About the author/host: The Recipe Diva (Jacqui McVey) is the creator and founder of TheRecipeDiva.com, a FREE global recipe sharing and social networking website for foodies, chefs and cooks. An online hub for numerous food experiences, TheRecipeDiva.com features a variety of cooking and lifestyle tips, daily helpful how-to's and online foodie forums. Most importantly, it serves as platform for foodies to share their recipes.
Photos: Images used in this post have been taken from TheRecipeDiva.com
- Berkeley’s Efforts To Pass Measure D, The Soda Tax
- The Crunch Heard 'Round The County
- Illinois Ambassadors Join Forces On Food Day 2014
- The Dining Room Table As A Nexus For Change
- Inspiring Healthy Change In Oregon For Food Day 2014
- World Food Day 2014
- Popsicles With A Touch Of Pizzazz
- California Thursdays Success Story
- Leading The Food Revolution In Cornwall And Devon
- Win For Nutrition Education In South Florida
- Big Apple Crunch Is Back On Food Day 2014
- Real Food Media Project Launches New Film Library And Contest
- October Monthly Challenges
- Uruguay Establishes New Standards For School Food
- Petit Gourmet Spreads 'Fooducation' In Uruguay
- Rethinking Breakfast And Back-to-School Habits
- Celebrate Food Day On October 24
- Blog Of The Month: Food Day Blog
- Ambassador Of The Month: Real Food In Forbes, Australia
- Los Angeles Community Garden Council