WaterForwardMon 28 Nov 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Charity:Water, a non-profit organization brining clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations, recently launched a new web project called WaterForward. WaterForward is a simple concept and a unique way to pay charity forward to your friends.
It all started with one simple idea – there are 1 billion people on social media while at the same time, there are 1 billion people in currently living without access to clean safe water.
Michael Birch, founder of Bebo, now CEO of start up lab Monkey Inferno and a long time charity:water supporter conceived a ‘pay it forward’ website which he describes as a ‘kind of chain letter pyramid scheme’. While it is easy to like a charity through social media, it is much harder to get people to give, and that is what WaterForward is designed to do!
It’s simple, WaterForward is creating a huge book full of faces. People pay $10 to put a photo in the book, but can’t pay for themselves to be added. Instead, they must be the beneficiary of a generous friend who has ‘paid it forward’ to them and then they must ‘pay it forward’ to put their friends and family in the book. Once in the book there is no limit to the number of people you can pay it forward to and add, then once they are in the book, they too can add more and more people by paying $10 for each person added.
100% of this money goes straight to directly fund clean water projects in developing countries as WaterForward connects each person’s impact directly to their network on social media and to those in need.
WaterForward is a simple concept and an easy way to pay charity forward to your friends and hopefully one day the book will include every profile photo from facebook and twitter.
Jamie and the Food Revolution are getting involved with WaterForward as Michael Birch kindly added Jamie to the book as one of the founding 500 and Jamie in turn is paying it forward to more and more people. Through both facebook and twitter, Jamie is paying it forward to friends, followers and Food Revolution supporters to thank them for their support and to help raise funds to provide access to clean, safe water for the 1 billion people currently without it.
Find out more about WaterForward and Charity:Water here, and don’t forget to pay it forward if Jamie or someone else adds you to the book!
The Food Revolution Team
- Top Tips For Food Education
- Happy Food Literacy Month California!
- The Mount Desert Island Hospital Food Revolution Heats Up
- Big Changes In UK School Food
- More Outdoor Dining Moments From Across The Globe
- September Monthly Challenges
- 100 Days Of Real Food – Still Going Strong
- Blog Of The Month: Top With Cinnamon
- Seasons Of Seafood Education And Dinner Series
- Smart Snacks Q&A
- Ambassador Of The Month: Teaching Life Changing Skills In LA
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words