What’s On The Menu For Food Revolution Day?Mon 14 May 2012
Story by The Food Revolution Day Team
Food Revolution Day is approaching rapidly. Over 340 dinner parties are happening around the world to celebrate, and the time has come to set the menu. You’ve downloaded the Dinner Party Starter Kit, sent your invites, added the event to our map, and now all that’s left is to decide what to serve. Remember, stand up for real food on Food Revolution Day, no boxed or processed food allowed! But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Our website is jam packed with recipes and tips on how to make a meal from scratch. Here are some ideas from of our favourite recipes on the Food Revolution Day website.
1. Add a little salsa to your evening with Jamie’s Chicken Fajitas, our Food Revolution Recipe of the Month. This is a great meal to prepare ahead and serve a crowd, and who can resist homemade salsa and guacamole! Top tip: those of you in the US, remember that a bunch of fresh coriander is just the British way of saying cilantro.
2. The sun is finally out here, and Food Revolution Day is a great excuse for a BBQ. Throw some Shrimp and Veggie Skewers on the Barbie, fire up some of Jamie’s Cracking Burgers for your guests, and top them with Mary’s simple Bread and Butter Pickles. Take your pick of from a lighter Caeser Salad, Chopped Salad or Coleslaw to serve on the side. Cool down and fill up on antioxidents with a glass of Pomegranate Drink or a pitcher of Easy Peasy Ginger Beer.
3. Homemade Pizza is an amazing way to get your guests involved in dinner. Have your guests bring different toppings and the options are limitless! Start with Jamie’s basic Pizza Dough, and smear with some of Jennifer’s Easy, Homemade Tomato Sauce or mix things up with Danny’s Fifteen Pesto, and then have fun! A pizza party has never tasted so good…
4. Fruit and vegetables should be part of meals and snacks, and desserts are no exception. We have provided a selection of dessert recipes using different varieties of fruit, with the odd treat recipe thrown in. Even treats (homemade only!) are ok to have once and a while, and deserve their time to shine on Food Revolution Day. Have your kids help prepare Oatmeal Raisin Cookies or Wibbly Wobbly Clementine Jelly. Finish your BBQ with a luxurious Summer Berry Pavlova or share a batch of homemade Cupcakes with Berry Glaze.
Still not convinced? Check out what our celebrity friends are making for their dinner parties. Adrian Grenier is in the kitchen with his mom’s famous romaine lettuce, carrot, brocolini and brown rice salad. Richard Branson is all about the shepard’s pie. Chelsea Williams is fixin’ thai food and Alyssa Milano has a special menu for the under 2 crowd!
Do you have different ideas? Share the love and upload your own recipes to the site for the community to see. Remember, all of Jamie’s Food Revolution Day recipes have been written keeping the key nutrients in mind. We’ve nutritionally analysed each recipe to make sure they’re in check for calories, saturated fat and salt, to help you prepare quick, nutritious meals made with fresh ingredients. We have sorted the recipes according to different occasions, but feel free to pick and choose a selection of dishes for whatever event you have in mind, whether it is an everyday family meal or a feast for a party. And after you’ve cooked, be sure to share pictures of your delicious food on Instagram and Twitter using #realfood.
The Food Revolution Day Team
1. Little Ladies Who Lunch - Simple, Grilled Stuffed Peaches
2. Eric Hossinger - Beef Sandwich
3. Uyen Luu - Sweet & Sour Pork
4. Jamie Oliver - Vegetarian Chilli © Matt Russell
5. Jamie Oliver - Summer Berry Pavlova © David Loftus
6. Kim Gerber - Broccoli-Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- How The Circus Turned My Picky Eater Into A Food Lover
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill