World Diabetes Day: November 14thTue 08 Nov 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF),
November 14 is World Diabetes Day
World Diabetes Day (WDD) was created in 1991 by the IDF and the World Health Organization (WHO) in response to growing concerns about the increasing health threat that diabetes pose. Since 2007, WDD has been an official United Nations Day.
Celebrated worldwide, WDD is a campaign which aims to increase awareness of diabetes and features a theme chosen by the IDF addressing issues facing the global diabetes community.
The theme for 2009-2013 is ‘Diabetes Education and Prevention’, the key messages of which include knowing the risks and warning signs of diabetes.
Across the world, hundreds of individuals and communities, including International Diabetes Federation member associations, diabetes organizations, NGOs and health departments will be carrying out a number of activities to mark the day. Such activities include: sports events, public information meetings, workshops, exhibitions and screenings on diabetes and its complications and radio and television programs.
Find out more about some of the activities taking place here.
The universal symbol for WDD symbolizes life and health and acts to give diabetes a common identity – the color blue reflects the sky that unites all nations and is also the color of the United Nations flag while the circle signifies the unity of the global diabetes community in response to the diabetes pandemic.
Find out more about WDD, and the important actions you can take to get educated and help prevent diabetes here.
Act on Diabetes. Now.
The Food Revolution Team
- Discovering Real Food
- Food Revolution Ambassadors Go Alfresco!
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #2
- Ambassador Recipes: Eating Real For Less #1
- A Student Led Cafeteria Revolution In Ontario
- How Poetry Changes The Conversation About Type 2 Diabetes
- August Monthly Challenges
- Real Food And Conscious Living In Bend, Oregon
- Eat. Live. Travel. Write: Inspiring A Love Of Cooking Through Words
- Why Do You Eat Real?
- "If You Can Imagine It, You Can Achieve It!"
- Global Food Initiative
- London Flagship Food Boroughs – Tackling Obesity
- Breakfast: A Most Treasured Meal Of The Day
- Lifestyle Diseases – A Review Of Actions
- Food Lab Celebrates 30 Years Of Healthy Food Empowerment
- Sparking Change In Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Good And Cheap: Cooking Delicious Meals On A Budget
- July’s Monthly Challenges
- Food Revolution Day 2014 - The Results Are In!