World Diabetes Day: November 14thTue 08 Nov 2011
Story by The Food Revolution Team
Led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF),
November 14 is World Diabetes Day
World Diabetes Day (WDD) was created in 1991 by the IDF and the World Health Organization (WHO) in response to growing concerns about the increasing health threat that diabetes pose. Since 2007, WDD has been an official United Nations Day.
Celebrated worldwide, WDD is a campaign which aims to increase awareness of diabetes and features a theme chosen by the IDF addressing issues facing the global diabetes community.
The theme for 2009-2013 is ‘Diabetes Education and Prevention’, the key messages of which include knowing the risks and warning signs of diabetes.
Across the world, hundreds of individuals and communities, including International Diabetes Federation member associations, diabetes organizations, NGOs and health departments will be carrying out a number of activities to mark the day. Such activities include: sports events, public information meetings, workshops, exhibitions and screenings on diabetes and its complications and radio and television programs.
Find out more about some of the activities taking place here.
The universal symbol for WDD symbolizes life and health and acts to give diabetes a common identity – the color blue reflects the sky that unites all nations and is also the color of the United Nations flag while the circle signifies the unity of the global diabetes community in response to the diabetes pandemic.
Find out more about WDD, and the important actions you can take to get educated and help prevent diabetes here.
Act on Diabetes. Now.
The Food Revolution Team
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill
- One Moms Mission For A Candy-free School Valentine
- Join In On The Fun At The Kids Food Festival
- A Naturally Sweet School Valentine's Day