You’re Invited To Brunch! 52 New Foods March Recipe RoundupWed 04 Apr 2012
Story by Jennifer Tyler Lee
Brunch. Even the sound of the word makes me smile. Maybe it’s the way it brings us together – family, friends, delicious comfort foods and great conversation. Whatever the reason, it’s my favorite meal.
March in California heralds the start of spring. Tiny buds are beginning to burst, soft colors are washing over the landscape like a beautiful watercolor and friends are coming out of their winter burrows to play. To celebrate spring’s arrival, we’re inviting you to brunch! The Crunch a Color™ 52 New Foods Challenge this month brings together a colorful menu of tasty, healthy recipes that will make brunch time a favorite time at your house. Enjoy digging into these delicious dishes with family, good friends, and lots of laughter.
Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
Hello hot cakes! It’s easy to see why Jamie Oliver’s recipe for whole wheat banana pancakes was our most popular dish this month. The perfect combination of sweet banana, crunchy walnuts, and wholesome whole wheat flour with a drizzle of warm maple syrup is absolutely irresistible. Pancakes are a must on our brunch menu. Here’s how to make them healthy: Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes.
Wild Salmon with Basil Aioli and Quinoa
Sweet vs. savory. We’ve got equal parts in our family when it comes to taste preferences. That means brunch time at our house needs a few deliciously savory dishes to satisfy the crowd. Thanks to Marla Meridith at Family Fresh Cooking, we’re covered! Her simple and beautiful Wild Salmon with Basil Aioli and Quinoa makes an easy and tasty addition to our springtime brunch menu: Wild Salmon with Basil Aioli and Quinoa.
Asparagus with Ginger-Soy Glaze
Better by the bushel! Delicate, bright green spears are crowding our local markets, so our celebration wouldn’t be complete without inviting asparagus to the table. Beautiful and easy to prepare, asparagus is one of my favorite veggies this time of year. Here’s how I got my picky eaters to try it: Asparagus with Ginger-Soy Glaze.
Gluten-Free Fruit and Berry Crisp
What’s for dessert? How about a warm fruit crisp bubbling over with peaches and blueberries and topped with a deliciously crunchy cinnamon oat topping? Even better that it’s gluten-free! With Amy The Family Chef at the helm, it is almost impossible to wait to dig into dessert. A storybook ending to a perfectly healthy, brunch time meal: Gluten-Free Fruit and Berry Crisp.
Got Great Recipes?
What are your favorite brunch time recipes? Post them, and photos of your favorite brunch celebrations, on the Food Revolution Facebook pageand tag @crunchacolor. You may be featured in our next 52 New Foods Recipe Roundup!
Craving more new recipes to try? Tune into the Crunch a Color™ New Food Challenge each week for more tasty, fun and easy recipes from fellow Food Revolutionaries and get the exclusive recipe roundups each month right here on Jamie’s Food Revolution.
About the author: Jennifer Tyler Lee is a mom of two children and the creator of Crunch a Color™-- the award-winning nutrition game that makes healthy eating fun. Like most parents, she struggled to get her kids to eat healthy, balanced meals, so she decided to make it into a healthy eating game and she’s giving back to support Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution. Watch her picky eaters tell the story of how they turned into healthy eaters playing the game. Join the conversation on Facebook or Twitter Twitter to tune into Crunch a Color's healthy eating adventure and Jennifer’s tips and kid-friendly, easy recipes.
- How The Circus Turned My Picky Eater Into A Food Lover
- Getting Rooted In East Harlem
- Why A 10-year Old Thinks Being Healthy Is Cool
- The Real Food Innovator Awards
- California Legislation Calls For Warning Labels On Soda
- Real Food Media Project Announces Winners
- New School Meal Standards Increase Fruit, Vegetable Consumption
- A Visit From Jamie Oliver & His Mobile Kitchen Big Rig
- March’s Monthly Challenges
- Lessons Learned From Cooking
- The Big Rig Rolls On To Next NorCal Stop
- Coming Up On May 16 - The 3rd Food Revolution Day!
- Food Culture And Education In Japan
- Blog Of The Month: Veggie Desserts
- A Food Revolution Adventure From The US To Europe
- Encouraging Passions To Foster Our Sustainable Food Future
- Paying It Forward For Life
- Cooking Basics – Learning Cooking Skills And So Much More
- Edible Schoolyard New Orleans: Growing A Love Of Food
- Nutrition Provisions In The Farm Bill