With just a splash of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, you can turn the humble potato into delicious homemade wedges. They’re perfect with anything from a homemade burger to your favorite grilled chicken. Give them a try and you won’t ever buy the frozen ones again.
JAMIE'S TOP TIP
- This simple method works with other veggies too so why not give sweet potato, parsnip or squash wedges a go to mix things up a bit.
- Once you’ve made these, why not try sprinkling with a little smoked paprika for a nice, spicy twist?
- These are great for dunking and sharing so why not make some delicious fresh salsa or some homemade guacamole the next time you have some friends over.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the potatoes clean and get rid of any gnarly bits. Cut the potatoes into chunky wedges (about 6 per potato). Transfer to a roasting tray and add a good lug of olive oil and the salt and pepper. Toss together so all the wedges are coated in the oil then spread out in one layer, skin-side down.
- Cook in the hot oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden, crisp and cooked through. To tell if they’re cooked, poke one or two with the tip of a paring knife—you should meet no resistance.
Serving suggestions: Delicious served with steak and salad, or any fish or chicken dish.
Tips from the dietitian: French fries are delicious – I won’t deny it – but they’re not good for you if you eat them all the time. These oven-baked wedges are far better for you and will satisfy that craving. This may be surprising but potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C.
Food safety: Be aware that there may be germs and bacteria in the soil on any dirty muddy vegetables. Peel them in the sink, rinse them well before use then remember to clean the sink and your hands before you do anything else.
¼ teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 medium (about 10 ounce) baking potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
Large spoon or tongs
- VEGETARIAN CHILE
- EVOLUTION TOMATO SALAD
- GARDEN SALAD WITH BUTTERMILK DRESSING
- SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
- ALL-AMERICAN PANCAKES
- MINESTRONE SOUP
- BARBECUED CHICKEN
- BRILLIANT BROCCOLI
- CUPCAKES WITH BERRY GLAZE
- CHICKEN FAJITAS
- SIMPLEST FRUIT SALAD
- BASIC PIZZA
- EVERYDAY GREEN CHOPPED SALAD
- SALMON FISH CAKES
- SLOPPY JOE
- YOGURT POPS
- OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
- STEAK AND SALSA VERDE
- SPINACH RED ONION AND FETA FRITTATA