This is a very simple and delicious recipe. Start with the freshest fruit you can find and you’ll wonder why you don’t make this everyday!
JAMIE'S TOP TIP
- Fruit salad is the best way to celebrate seasonal fruit so feel free to vary what I’ve used here depending on the time of year – buying fruit that’s in season will ensure you have the best flavors possible.
- I like to add a bit of crunch by serving it with a scattering of Granola which is a great way of enjoying all different types of dried fruits, nuts and seeds that you might not otherwise eat in your diet.
- You can make this a little bit ahead of time —the orange juice will keep the apple and banana from turning dark right away.
- Stir the yogurt and honey together in a small bowl.
- Top and tail the oranges. Stand them up on a cutting board and cut off the peel and the white pith right down to the orange. Work over a bowl to catch the juices and cut the orange segments free, letting them drop right into the bowl. Squeeze the juice from what’s left of the oranges into the bowl.
- Wash the apple, cut it into quarters and cut out the core and seeds. Cut the apples into chunks and add them to the bowl. Peel and slice the bananas and toss them with the other fruit.
- Spoon the fruit into four bowls and spoon some of the yogurt over each. Sprinkle the poppy seeds and almonds over the yogurt.
Serving suggestions: Sprinkle over a small handful of your favorite seeds or lightly toasted nuts.
Tips from the dietitian: It’s easy to be lazy when it comes to cutting up fruit but once it’s done, it’s delicious, healthy and is a much better snack than a packaged cookie or cake. You need to eat lots of fruit and vegetables to stay healthy – this fruit salad makes eating fruit a pleasure, not a chore. Try to think of interesting ways to build more fruit into your diet.
Food safety: It’s always a good idea to wash your fruit before you eat it.
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
4 tablespoons sliced almonds, or your favorite nuts
- VEGETARIAN CHILE
- EVOLUTION TOMATO SALAD
- GARDEN SALAD WITH BUTTERMILK DRESSING
- SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
- ALL-AMERICAN PANCAKES
- MINESTRONE SOUP
- BARBECUED CHICKEN
- BRILLIANT BROCCOLI
- CUPCAKES WITH BERRY GLAZE
- CHICKEN FAJITAS
- BASIC PIZZA
- POTATO WEDGES
- EVERYDAY GREEN CHOPPED SALAD
- SALMON FISH CAKES
- SLOPPY JOE
- YOGURT POPS
- OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES
- STEAK AND SALSA VERDE
- SPINACH RED ONION AND FETA FRITTATA