Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
main courses | serves 6
This is a popular Greek summertime medley of baked vegetables, and you can add others such as carrots and beans, depending on what you have. In Greece, it’s eaten with feta, but it’s also good with pork chops. Aubergines soak up a lot of oil when fried, so add more as necessary.
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the aubergine in batches, adding more oil if necessary, for 5–7 minutes, until softened and golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, with a little more oil if necessary, and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened. Transfer to the bowl with the aubergine. Add the potato, tomatoes, courgette, passata and 200ml water to the bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and parsley and season generously with sea salt and ground black pepper. Combine well with your hands and transfer to a large ovenproof dish. Drizzle with any remaining oil.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn down the oven to 200C/gas 6. Bake for another 20–30 minutes, or until the top has browned and vegetables are tender. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 10
ingredients• 150ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra if required
• 1 large aubergine, halved lengthways, then thickly sliced
• 1 large onion, thinly sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, sliced
• 800g large potatoes, chopped into 1cm cubes
• 6 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
• 12 cherry tomatoes
• 5 courgettes, sliced
• 300g tomato passata
• 1 tbsp dried oregano
• 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley