Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
snacks and sides | makes 36
"Jammie Dodgers, made by Burton’s Foods in Cwmbran in Wales, are a classic British biscuit," says Anna Jones. You can use any jam you like in our take on them – the Jamie Dodger – but we’ve gone for seedless raspberry. If you don’t have mini cutters to make the holes in the middle, use a piping nozzle.
1. Put the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl and beat together with an electric whisk until very pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract or seeds and egg yolk and beat well with a wooden spoon. Sift in the flour and mix into a firm dough. Work the dough into a smooth ball with your hands, then wrap it in clingfilm and pop in the fridge for an hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5 and line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out until about 3mm thick. Using a round 4cm biscuit cutter, or a slightly larger one if that’s too fiddly, cut out an even number of circles, then use a mini heart cutter or mini round cutter to make little circles in the centres of half of the biscuits. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheets and bake in the oven for 10–12 minutes or until they are a pale golden colour. Don’t be tempted to overcook them or they will be too hard.
3. Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to cool. While they are still warm, sprinkle with the caster sugar.
4. Once the biscuits are completely cool, sandwich them together with a scant teaspoon of jam. Make sure the biscuits with a hole cut in them are placed on top of those without. Store in an airtight container.
Per biscuit 121 cals, 6g fat (3.7g saturated), 1.2g protein, 15.3g carbs, 7.2g sugars
Recipe Anna Jones
Photo Laura Edwards
from Issue 27
ingredients• 250g butter, softened
• 140g icing sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped
• 1 egg yolk
• 375g flour
• 30g white caster sugar, for sprinkling
• 170g seedless raspberry jam