Enter keyword(s) below for to search
main courses | serves 6 as a main, 12 as a side
We like to add extra punch to this summer stew with a dollop of vibrant salsa verde.
1. Preheat the grill to high. Place the aubergine on a baking tray and brush with 1 tablespoon of oil. Grill for 10–12 minutes, till golden brown. Turn the slices over, brush with another tablespoon of oil and grill for 5–8 minutes, until golden.
2. In a large frying pan, heat the remaining oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, until they begin to soften and turn golden. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, then add the peppers, fennel and courgettes, and cook for 5–8 minutes until they begin to soften.
3. Use a knife to score a cross into the base of each tomato. Put them in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for a minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and peel the skin. Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Roughly chop the tomatoes and add to the pan, along with the aubergine and herbes de Provence.
4. Lower the heat, cover the pan with a tight lid and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so, until the vegetables are cooked through. Season to taste.
5. To make the salsa verde, use a pestle and mortar to grind the herbs and garlic to a paste, adding a little salt to help the process. (Or blitz in a food processor.) Crush in the capers. Stir in the oil, lemon zest and juice, adding more oil or juice if necessary, to create a flavour and texture you like. Season to taste. Serve the ratatouille in bowls with a spoonful of salsa verde.
Per serving (6, with salsa verde) 282 cals, 21.2g fat (3.1g saturated), 5.2g protein, 13.9 carbs, 9.4g sugars
Recipe Rebecca Rauter
Photo Will Heap
from Issue 20
ingredients• 2 aubergines, cut into 1cm slices
• 5 tbsp olive oil
• 2 red onions, finely sliced widthways
• 4 garlic cloves, sliced
• 2 red peppers, or 1 red and 1 yellow, sliced
• 1 fennel bulb, sliced
• 3 large courgettes, cut into 1cm rounds
• 4 large ripe tomatoes or 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
• 2 tsp herbes de Provence
Salsa verde (optional)
• A small handful each of basil, flat-leaf parsley, coriander and mint, tough stalks removed
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 tsp capers
• 4–5 tbsp olive oil
• Zest and juice of ½ lemon