Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
#17 - Spinach & ricotta cannelloni
main courses | serves 6
We're taking a trip down memory lane in the run up to our 50th issue and featuring a recipe a day from all our previous editions. We always feature recipes that the kids can get involved with, and this classic spinach and ricotta cannelloni from issue 17 is perfect for little hands!
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Put the spinach and a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the nutmeg, season with salt and pepper, cover and leave to sweat. Help the kids to stir it occasionally until the spinach has cooked down. Place in a bowl and set to one side to cool a little.
2. In the same pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil and gently sweat the onion until soft. Add the garlic, tomatoes, bay leaf, a few basil leaves and lemon zest and let it gently simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Have the kids squeeze the moisture out of the spinach into the bowl. Place the spinach on a board so you can chop it up. Return the spinach to the liquid in the bowl and get the kids to stir in the ricotta, beaten egg and parmesan. Season to taste. Sit the piping bag in a jug, fold its edges over the rim, then spoon in the spinach mixture. Have the kids help pipe the mixture into the cannelloni tubes and lay them in a 20cm x 25cm oven dish.
4. Spread the tomato sauce over the cannelloni. Scatter over most of the basil, lay the mozzarella slices on top, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season. Place in the oven and cook for 35–40 minutes or till the top is golden and the pasta tender (if the top browns too fast, cover the dish with foil). Remove from the oven and let stand for a few minutes before serving with the remaining basil.
Per serving 432 cals, 27.1g fat (11g saturated), 18.8g protein, 25.1g carbs, 6.7g sugars
Tomorrow's dessert recipe is sure to become one of your favourites too!
Recipe Laura Fyfe
Photo Dan Jones
from Issue 17
ingredients• 400g spinach
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, squashed
• 2 x 400g tins of tomatoes
• 1 bay leaf
• ½ bunch of basil, leaves picked
• Grated zest of ½ lemon
• 250g ricotta
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 tsp grated parmesan
• 150g cannelloni, about 14
• 2 x 125g mozzarella balls, sliced