Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
dessert recipes | serves 6
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet with butter.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Add 300ml cream and mix into a dough. Gently knead on a lightly floured surface. Pat the dough into a 25cm round, about 7mm thick. Cut out 4 rounds with a lightly floured 7.5-8cm cutter and place on a baking sheet. Gather together the scraps of dough and pat out again. Cut out the remaining 2 rounds.
3. Brush the tops of the shortcakes with cream and bake for 1520 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool.
4. Add the strawberries to a bowl with the caster and icing sugars and vanilla extract, stirring to combine or gently mashing. Beat remaining cream in a bowl until its just holding soft peaks.
5. Split the shortcakes in half and dollop with whipped cream, then add some of the strawberry mixture and sandwich together. Serve with any remaining cream and strawberries.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 6
ingredients Melted butter, for greasing
270g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
550ml double cream, plus extra
450g strawberries, sliced
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract