Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables and Gravy

DEC 10 @ 17:08

by BabiesNBiscuits

I haven’t found many people out there who don’t love a good Roast Chicken.

I have tried it myself by cooking the whole thing (Thanksgiving Style), just sitting in the pan.  Maybe doctured up with some butter and salt and pepper.

Nothing too great.  I may have even tried to add some type of citrus to it a time or too, but still nothing that great.

My chicken always had some spot in it that might still look a little pink or God forbid, bloody (GASP!), and my kids would get totally grossed out!!!

So, you can probably guess where the rest of that story goes….

I decided to make it a different way about a week ago and I have to say that I will probably never make Roast Chicken another way again.
RECIPE:  Roast Chicken w/ Root Vegetables and Gravy

Ingredients:

- 1 Whole Chicken ( 3 to 4 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Carrots
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Sweet Onions
- 1 cup White Wine, I used Chardonnay OR if you prefer, you can use Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Butter

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut Onions, Carrots, and Sweet Potatoes roughly into 1 to 2 inch cubes.
- Combine vegetables and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.  Toss to coat and set aside.
- Use kitchen shears to cut out the backbone of the chicken.
- Lay chicken open, skin side up, like a book.  Flatten the chicken with your hands, pressing down until you hear a pop or crack noise.
- Sprinkle chicken with Herbs de Provence, salt and pepper.
- Heat a 12 inch or larger size cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.  Once hot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet.  Add chicken, skin side down, and sear 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Flip the chicken over and add vegetables to open areas around chicken.  It’s ok if it seems overcrowded.
- Roast chicken 1 hour and 15 minutes or until an instant- read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter, cover with aluminum foil, and keep warm.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon loosening any brown bits in bottom of pan.
- Allow to simmer for 8 to 9 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half.  Stir often.
- Add tablespoon butter and stir until melted.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  You won’t need much, if any.
- Carve chicken, set on platter with vegetables and serve with gravy.

If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think.
This is a definite “KID APPROVED” meal.
The sweetness from the onions, carrots, and sweet potatoes cook into the chicken and make it soooo good!
By the way, this is a great easy meal to entertain with or if you just want to share with your family.

ENJOY!

-Esther
*Recipe originally posted on www.babiesandbiscuits.com

0 replies

Login or register to make a comment

Pages: 1
$(document).ready(function(){ //for restaurants page if ($(location).attr('href') == "http://www.jamieoliver.com/restaurants"){ $('#restaurants_menu_wrapper').css('display','block'); } // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 // Jo ROADBLOCK section 2 end });