forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 18 Apr 07 6:57pm

jools24

Member since Tue 26 Sep 06

Help with Spag Bol!!

Me and the family have Spag Bol every week, love it - But I want to make my own sauce instead of using Dolmio, What do you put in?
P.s Seriously awful at cooking so sorry if the question is sad!!
Cheers
Jools help

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 18 Apr 07 7:36pm

baldymaan

Occupation a bored toolmaker need a change
From blackpool
Member since Fri 15 Sep 06

Re: Help with Spag Bol!!

tin of chopped tomatoes, oregano, basil, garlic,a red chilli whole and take out after cooking,salt, blackpepper , tomatoe puree to thicken it up,cook for ten mins then add your meat.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 19 Apr 07 12:51am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

400g beef mince (don't use lean steak mince; some people prefer half pork, half beef or veal but I tend to use all beef)
1 tin (400g) tomatoes
1 tube tomato puree
2 bayleaves
a few sprigs thyme (optional)
1 cup milk (whole milk if possible)
1 large glass white wine
1 large onion
6 cloves garlic
nutmeg
6-8 rashers pancetta

Slice your pancetta and fry it gently in a large pot until it releases its fat and starts gently crisping up.  At this point, add the finely chopped onion, and maybe a little olive oil if it looks dry.  Fry gently to soften (but not brown) the onion.  Add the mince, and fry until it loses the raw, pink look.  At this point, add the milk; it should just cover most of the meat.  Turn up the heat a little and allow the milk to bubble away until it's completely evaporated.  Only then, add the wine.  Again, bubble away until it's gone.  Now, pour in your tomatoes (tinned and puree), the bayleaves, the thyme, a good pinch of nutmeg, and the finely chopped garlic.  Simmer very gently over a very low heat for as long as possible, two hours is the very least you should aim for if possible.  Towards the end, add a generous grinding of pepper, salt to taste, and chopped origano and basil (if you popped in the thyme twigs, fish out the woody bits).

Last edited by Anna (Thu 19 Apr 07 12:52am)

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 19 Apr 07 11:52am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

If you do go for one of the sauces in a jar try paul newman's they are a bit better.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 19 Apr 07 10:00pm

Ramon Farrugia

Occupation Chemistry Laboratory Technician
From Home At Paola, Malta
Member since Thu 16 Nov 06

Hi Jools,
To Anna's Recipe down here I would add 1 finely chopped carrot & 1 finely chopped celery stick...u fry these with the chopped onion...italians use onion, carrot & celery with everything that starts with a fried onion...they call it soffritto...

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 26 Apr 07 8:44am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Spaghetti Bolognese

1 450g package of pork mince
3 pieces of bacon chopped
1 onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped
4 pieces of celery chopped
2 carrots chopped
package of mushrooms sliced
½ red pepper chopped
½ yellow pepper chopped
six plum tomatoes chopped
three cans chopped tomatoes
1 glass red wine
beef bouillion cube (stock cube)
2 large glasses of water
2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcester sauce
½ cup milk

brown the pork and bacon. Drain in a sieve. Add oil to pot and soften, onion, garlic, celery. Then add the mushrooms and peppers and allow them to soften. Add the carrots and coat with the oil. Add the plum tomatoes and return the meat. Next add the cans of tomatoes and plenty of basil, oregano and salt and pepper. Allow this to heat through for about ten minutes. Next add the wine, balsamic vinegar and Worcester sauce, beef cube and water, combine. Allow to simmer on a low heat for about two and ½ hours. Add the milk and simmer for another ½ hour. Serve over pasta and toss with mozzerella cheese

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 26 Apr 07 3:00pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Very true, Ramon.  I tend to not bother as I hardly ever have celery in the house, but the combination does add great flavour.  I think the French call it a mirepoix.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 26 Apr 07 5:04pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I have to admit, I have never added milk or carrots to my Bolognese... and I never add pancetta lol  I guess it's not a true Bolognese then? I am going to do a search and make it accordingly.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 26 Apr 07 11:24pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

bcrain.. i am with you on the milk thing... it makes me shiver just to hear about it ..  puke Of course growing up i pretty much only ever had nothern italian sugo. Very different from what most people understand as meat sauce.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#10 Fri 27 Apr 07 1:34am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I keep forgetting that diffent regions in Italy have variations of one recipe...

Could you share your recipe? smile Thanks if you can.

Likes (0)