forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 04 Aug 07 12:25pm

katiatokyo

Member since Thu 03 May 07

need tips to cool down burning skin due to raw green chili !!!

Hi there,

I was cooking cous cous salad for lunch today using fresh green chili.
I think it was really strong - my skin (especially fingers) is stiil (already 6 hours past) burning  shocked

Are there any tips to cool down this burning ?

Katia

Last edited by katiatokyo (Sat 04 Aug 07 12:26pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 04 Aug 07 12:48pm

holeys

Member since Sat 22 Oct 05

Re: need tips to cool down burning skin due to raw green chili !!!

Hi ya, I really feel for you I personally burnt me fingers on the soleplate of straightening irons and in alot pain I resulted in using ice cubes to cool me finger down. It worked and managed to sleep through the night to but I do have a rough style skin formed on me thumb, but in no pain so I don’t mind.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 04 Aug 07 1:07pm

katiatokyo

Hi holeys, Thanks for tip but excuse my wrong expression, it is not actually burning. I meant that hot feeling on my skin after touching chili. already 7 hours past but still continuing....! I really can not touch my nose or eyes with these hot fingers !

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 04 Aug 07 5:19pm

Set

Member since Sat 14 Apr 07

meh try soaking ur hands with milk...drinking milk when u eat spicy food helps to take the spiciness more bearable...i hope i'd work the same for fingers hahah smile tell me if it works

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 04 Aug 07 5:31pm

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

its the oil in the chilies that give the heat so anything that cuts oil will work to stop the burning, like hot water and soap or some kind of degreaser if all else fails. good luck

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 05 Aug 07 4:11am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Rub some yoghurt into your skin.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 05 Aug 07 9:18am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Chili Safety Tips     

If a dish with chilies is too hot for you, don't reach for a glass of water.
     Instead, try a sip of milk or a bite of cheese to relieve the burn.
     Why? Chilies get their heat from volatile oils that range in intensity from mildly warm to blisteringly hot. While water just spreads the fire, proteins in dairy products quickly neutralize the oils, lessening the sensation of heat.
     But it's not just the tongue and taste buds that can suffer the effects of this large family of pungent pods. If care is not taken when seeding and slicing chilies, you can be left with hands that feel as though they've been scorched.
     To safely clean a chili, use a small sharp knife and hold the chili by the stem end, being careful to avoid touching cut surfaces of the chili with your bare skin. Even better, slip small plastic baggies over your hands or wear rubber or plastic gloves when working with chilies. Avoid touching your face, especially the eyes, nose and lips, while working with chilies.
     When you're done preparing the chili, discard the baggies and wash your hands and/or gloves, cutting board and knife with soapy water and rinse well.
     If you do burn your skin, wash the area thoroughly with soapy water and rinse well. Ice packs may help reduce discomfort. For eye burns, rinse well with clear, warm water.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 05 Aug 07 6:48pm

katiatokyo

Thanks people for your kind advices  smile  Unfortunately both me and my boyfriend are vegan and didn't have any milk in our kitchen  sad  But time  past and it's much better now thumbsup thanks again, and I could learn one good thing-I better prepare milk or plastic gloves not to blame fresh hot chili after cooking.... big_smile

BTW, it is true that using water just spread the fire. It really did.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 25 Sep 07 1:13am

Bluebirdnick

Member since Tue 25 Sep 07

I oil my hands before cutting chilies, and wash it all off with lots of soap when I've finished. It seems to work for me.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 25 Sep 07 3:58am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Tue 22 May 07

If it's the chilli oil on your fingers that's causing issues then you need to degrease your fingers and break up the oil particles. Cold soapy water should help relieve the burning sensation while breaking down the oil.
Dry with a disposable paper towel so there's no chilli oil on your tablecloths smile

Regards.

Likes (0)