forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 19 Aug 07 7:05am

DONDURMA

Member since Sun 30 Apr 06

Jamie's potato salad w/salsa verde [HELP]

I was wondering what I would serve Jamie's potato salad w/salsa verde with? Any suggestions? Also, out of curiousity, what does salsa verde taste like??

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 20 Aug 07 1:30am

DONDURMA

Re: Jamie's potato salad w/salsa verde [HELP]

LOL, I know this isn't the most interesting topic [apologizing if I come across as oh I don't know "pushy"  tongue ] , but I am curious to know what to serve it with; especially since it's with "salsa verde"! Also, in general, what I can serve with potato salad whether it's with salsa verde or one of Jamie's other lovely potato salads!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 20 Aug 07 11:16pm

DONDURMA

whistle  yeah , I know but I am dying to try this just wondering the above!  help

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 22 Aug 07 1:12am

DONDURMA

Looking at the number of "views" to this topic it looks like I am not the only one who wants to know ahem wink  tongue  lol

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 22 Aug 07 6:16am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sorry, I don't think that I know the salad that you are talking about? Where did you see it ?

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 22 Aug 07 12:35pm

DONDURMA

I bought one of Jamie's books called "The Naked Chef". That's where I saw it!  mrgreen

Last edited by DONDURMA (Wed 22 Aug 07 12:35pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 22 Aug 07 4:24pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I don't seem to have a copy of the Naked Chef anymore...no idea what has happened to it , I must have lent it to someone....sorry

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 22 Aug 07 5:43pm

young mum

Forum champ
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

Potato Salad Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Show:  The Naked Chef
Episode:  The Girlfriend 

Start with about 1pound of potatoes (it's important to use evenly sized new potatoes, and you can either scrape them or peel them). Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water. Try to cook these perfectly so that they just fall off the blade of a knife when you stick it into the potato (you don't want the potatoes raw but you certainly don't want them falling apart either). As soon as the potatoes are cooked, drain them and put them into a bowl. It is very important to add your dressing at this stage, while the potatoes are still steaming hot (by allowing them to cool down in the dressing the flavors penetrate the potatoes). Here are 3 dressings that I like to use:
Potato salad with salsa verde: All you do is dress the potatoes with 2 large tablespoonfuls of salsa verde.

Potato Salad with olive oil, lemon and dill: Use olive oil and lemon juice dressing and add some roughly chopped fresh dill and a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Instead of dill you could try fresh mint, fresh parsley or fennel tops -- they'll all work).

Potato salad with dandelion and shallot: Again, use olive oil and lemon juice dressing, add some thoroughly washed and roughly chopped dandelion leaves and some finely chopped shallot, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

HERB AND RED WINE VINEGAR DRESSING:
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
5 tablespoons good quality olive oil
1 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots

Mix together all the ingredients, adding the shallots last.
Yield: 4 servings

OLIVE OIL AND LEMON JUICE DRESSING:
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5 tablespoons good quality olive oil
1 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Mix together all the ingredients.

MARJORAM AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR DRESSING: 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (just 1 tablespoon may be enough if it is a very good vinegar) 5 tablespoons good quality olive oil 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 3 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram

Mix together all the ingredients.

SALSA VERDE

Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver

Salsa Verde is best made by hand by chopping very finely. It keeps well for a day but then starts to deteriorate. It's great with grilled, roasted or boiled meat, fish and vegetables.

1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 small handful capers
1 small handful pickled gherkins (the ones in sweet vinegar)
6 anchovy fillets
2 large handfuls flat-leaf parsley
1 bunch fresh basil leaves
1 handful fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup best quality olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Finely chop all the ingredients that can be chopped. Put this mixture into a bowl and add the mustard and vinegar. Slowly stir in the olive oil until you achieve the consistency you are looking for and balance the flavors with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and if necessary more red wine vinegar.

Yield: 8 servings

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 23 Aug 07 8:55pm

DONDURMA

Well now that the receipe has been posted above hopefully, someone can answer my question mrgreen

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 25 Aug 07 7:37am

DONDURMA

I was wondering if anyone has tried the receipe that was posted above out yet? smile

Likes (0)