forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 21 Sep 07 7:30pm

maureenanndunn

Member since Sun 09 Sep 07

Cooking Steak

Can anybody advise on the best way to cook a steak in the oven as against frying or grilling

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 21 Sep 07 8:41pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: Cooking Steak

Is there a particular reason for wanting to oven cook the steak?

If I'm cooking a particularly thick steak, then I'll sear it briefly (about 2 mins per side), followed by 3 to 4 mins in a pre-heated (220C), then rest it for 8 mins or so.

Anything longer would ruin it.

Here's a recipe:-

Prime rib for two

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two)

Single-rib beef rib roast, about 2 pounds (less than 1 kilo)
Garlic
Salt
Black pepper
Olive oil

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the garlic into slivers and poke them into slits all over the roast. Dust it generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Put it on a plate and leave at room temperature for an hour or two.

2. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).

3. Put a small amount of olive oil in a heavy, black-iron skillet, just enough to paint the surface with a thin coat. Sear the roast on one side for 2 minutes, then turn and brown the other side for 1 minute. Then put it in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 225F (100C) and roast for about 20 minutes more, checking the meat temperature toward the end to ensure that it's cooking to your liking. Aim for 130F (55C) at the center for rare or 140F (60C) for medium, bearing in mind that the meat will continue to cook for a few moments after you take it out of the oven. (Yes, you can cook it longer for well-done, but why would you want to do that?)

4. Remove the roast from the oven and move it to a warm plate. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so before carving. For convenience, I like to trim off the bones and any gristly end bits to leave a pretty, lean "eye" for slicing.

OPTIONAL EXTRA: To make the feast a little more traditional, I roasted some tiny new potatoes and small whole onions along with the beef. Because the short roasting time wouldn't be long enough to cook the potatoes and onions through, I gave them a head start by gently braising them for 20 minutes in a covered saucepan with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter with a smashed garlic clove and a little salt and pepper, then lifted them out of the melted butter and put them in the skillet around the seared beef before popping it in the oven.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 22 Sep 07 3:46am

farnation

Occupation NOC Tech
From Vilonia Arkansas
Member since Sun 29 Jul 07

Broil it.... like a grill but upside down. 3 1/2 mins on each side. rest for 3-5 mins.

hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Last edited by farnation (Sat 22 Sep 07 3:47am)

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 28 Sep 07 9:04am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Sirloin Steak

1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, 1 to 1 1/4-inches thick
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven on broiler setting. Make foil 'snake' out of aluminum foil to use to keep oven door slightly ajar so that broiler won't turn off if it gets too hot. Brush steak with oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Place a piece of foil on the bottom rack as a drip pan. Place another rack in the position above this and put the steak directly on this rack. Cook steak in this position for 5 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 5 minutes. Move rack with steak to top position in oven, moving rack with foil and drippings just underneath, and cook for 3 minutes. Flip 1 last time and cook for another 3 minutes. Transfer steak to wire rack and rest for 3 to 5 minutes. The above times are for medium doneness. Adjust cooking times up or down as desired.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 28 Sep 07 1:26pm

Garou

From Singapore
Member since Sun 19 Mar 06

Timings can be fairly inaccurate, as steaks can have different thickness. Also,  heat sources can differ. Even for one piece of meat (ie a porterhouse), different parts cook at different rates.

Best way to know the doneness of your meat is to prod it with your finger. After doing it a few times, you would be able to gauge the doneness of your meat. Raw meat starts off soft and spongy it is, and gets progressively firmer and springier the more well done it becomes!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 30 Sep 07 9:22am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

My MIL did this once... I wont comment on the taste or texture.

Lay minute steaks in a baking pan in a single layer, sprinkle over a packet of onion soup mix, add 2 cups water, bake 1 hour at 160 degrees C.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 30 Sep 07 9:43am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Frizz - that sounds disgusting. Was she attempting tomake shoe leather???

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 30 Sep 07 10:10am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Maybe....

A lot more water, cooking time & a few tomatoes would maybe make it edible....

I was polite, and ate it all. This was way back when OH & I first lived together....  puke  lol  lol

Likes (0)