Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 03 Oct 07 1:38pm

Mike Duff

Member since Fri 07 Sep 07

Chopping boards: wood or others

I'd like to introduce a debate here that is taking place in kitchens everywhere since new materials appeared.

I vote for wood. Beech if possible.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 03 Oct 07 1:55pm

dukeh1962

Occupation Industrial Supplies Manager
From Gippsland Victoria
Member since Fri 28 Sep 07

Re: Chopping boards: wood or others

I use UHMWPE cutting boards, no real reason except for the size availability without having to join them or fall a 500 year old tree for a good slab of timber.

(Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethylene)

I had a friend with a Redgum (one of the big river plain type Eucalypt) block, 2'6" in diameter and about 30" high on castors, must have weighed 200kgs, he used to roll it out of his pantry, wack, cut, mash, slice and pummel any ex-living thing he wanted on that thing.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 03 Oct 07 2:43pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

I prefer a wooden chopping board to plastic or glass - much kinder on the knives and, if looked after properly, just as hygienic.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 03 Oct 07 6:46pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

WOOD! and I agree with Olivia re: hygiene... as long as you clean it well (and remember to dry it properly - dont leave it on the side of the kitchen sink or it'll take the water and go mouldy on the side!) - Can you just tell it's experience talking?  wink

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 03 Oct 07 7:37pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Wood.  Definitely.  I have an end grain maple board that's just beautiful and so nice to use.  I oil it every month or so and it stays in great shape.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 03 Oct 07 10:46pm

ninoZ

Occupation foodster!
From land of thousand smiles...
Member since Wed 12 Sep 07

me...wood for vegetables/fruits n plastic for meat/fish

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 03 Oct 07 11:34pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

i have a couple big wooden blocks and a few small wooden boards and a few plastic..  i find tend to use plastic for meat and wood for everything else..

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#8 Thu 04 Oct 07 12:53am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Wood. Always and for everything.

The only exception are really thin plastic boards that look like place mats. I sometimes use them for cutting lots of veggies for a soup or stew or something. Since the board is really flexible I can pick it up and over my soup pot can bend it and pour out the veggie cubes.
The cutting feels different though and wood is still better for cutting wink

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 04 Oct 07 11:41am

elhousemartin

Occupation Design, Interiors
From Warfield, Berks
Member since Fri 07 Sep 07

I prefer a nice heavy wood for everything except poultry. I got a few plastic cutting mats from Ikea years ago and keep buying them! they're fab for picking up and carrying everything right over to the pan and are easy to clean and store because they're so thin and light. Galss and stone are about the worst things you can do to your knives so STEER CLEAR! And if you're using a wooden board, make SURE you clean it properly especially after cutting meat or fish. Also, it's a good idea to oil it regularly to prevent cracks that allow bacteria in.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 05 Oct 07 2:16am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

We've got separate wooden boards for everything, including a bread-board (the Nigella 'Living Kitchen' one).  The only time using wood has ever bothered me is when they're used for the wrong thing, e.g. garlic on the fruit board.  They do absorb smells, but they're easy to clean at the end of the day, and as everyone else has said, so much kinder on the knives.

Likes (0)