forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 17 Oct 07 10:57pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

Alcoholic punch

Hi

I'm looking for some alcoholic punch recipes for a halloween party.  Any ideas?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 18 Oct 07 7:44am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Alcoholic punch

When we were still in school we used to put red fruit (often cherries from a jar) in lots of vodka the night before the party. Than added wine afternoon before the party and champagne half an hour before the party. Some skipped the wine part too. Then just before the party some people heaped vanilla ice cream onto the punch until there was a whole floating layer. The ice cream would slowly melt  and you made sure on every glass of punch to have some of that creamy stuff.
It regularly made me sick (long before I had enough alcohol to be sick) from the sugar and it is definitely ugly and scary enough for halloween. And all of us (well, all but me) really loved it as little 18 year olds.

A yummy though more summer-y one I used to love was dry white wine (a bottle) with a few tbsp each of lemon liqueur and a green melon liqueur. Melons (watermelons mostly, but you could vary) cut into balls for the fruit. Sprite (same amount as wine or slightly less) just before the party for the fizz. The alcohol content is not very high in that one. It is rather refreshing actually. But bright green because of the liqueur....

You might opt for something red though for halloween? Not sure.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 18 Oct 07 7:46am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

You could have "hands" floating in your punch. Freeze juice (or part of your punch) in one way gloves and use the resulting ice hand instead of ice cubes to keep your punch cool.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 18 Oct 07 7:48am

stuvik

Occupation IT - Programmer
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Tue 22 May 07

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 18 Oct 07 12:15pm

itsmarie

Forum champ
Occupation Experimental learning
From Surrey UK
Member since Sat 18 Aug 07

SusanneH,
What a fantastic idea with the floating ice hands, i will definately be trying that one. big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 18 Oct 07 12:26pm

Cleary

Occupation Chef
From Beccles
Member since Fri 12 Oct 07

Try 2 bottles of vodka, 1 bottle of sweet fizzy wine, 1-2 cartons of pure tropical fruit juice and a tin of fruit cocktail smile

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 18 Oct 07 10:43pm

Femurs

Member since Sun 07 Jan 07

Thanks all.  The ice hands are a great addition - i add black food colouring to mine so they look even more sinister!

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 20 Oct 07 10:29am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Don't forget the peeled-grape 'eyeballs'!

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 20 Oct 07 11:55am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Anna wrote:

Don't forget the peeled-grape 'eyeballs'!

Or lychee wink

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 20 Oct 07 4:01pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Good call.

We're going to a Halloween party and I've decided to make red velvet cupcakes with black icing.  Any ideas for decoration?  I was thinking white iced spiderwebs but I have a feeling it might not show up properly.

Likes (0)