forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 10 Dec 07 3:59am

cfink72

Occupation University Professor
From Delaware, OH, USA
Member since Mon 12 Nov 07

Question about Roasting Hazelnuts

Anyone have any advice about roasting hazelnuts from which the skins have already been removed?  I'd love to hear how it went, or what your thoughts are on this.

I am going to be making my first Panforte, and I managed to get hazelnuts that had been skinned (but not roasted).

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 10 Dec 07 2:08pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Question about Roasting Hazelnuts

Hi cfink73 -

In Jamie' recipe for Praline Semi-freddo (from his book "The Naked Chef") he uses peeled hazelnuts.  He recommends -

Roast the hazelnuts in the oven at 225C/425F/Gas 7 until golden (about 4 minutes). Really watch them, because if you over-roast them they go bitter and you can't use them.

Or you could put them in a dry frying pan on top of the hob and toss them around until they are roasted.  Here again watch them carefully so that they do not burn.

Either method works, just keep your eye on them.

Good luck with your recipe!

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 10 Dec 07 4:02pm

cfink72

Occupation University Professor
From Delaware, OH, USA
Member since Mon 12 Nov 07

Thank you thank you!

Ironically, this weekend I saw a re-run of the Naked Chef episode where he makes that dish, but didn't see the details about how long, etc. they were cooked.  In essence, I was afraid of rendering them useless by overcooking, so thanks for the temperature / timing advice.

I'll post again once I make this (a week or so from now) with an update smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 10 Dec 07 10:01pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I roast any nuts or sesame or sunflower seeds in a nonstick frying ban. Just keep watching and stirring. It takes a while until it starts to roast, but then it goes so quickly they easily get burned.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 10 Dec 07 10:04pm

greenkitchen

Occupation Radio
From Sugar Land, Texas USA
Member since Sun 25 Nov 07

I use a non stick frying pan too.  Works great.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 11 Dec 07 12:55am

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

I got this one from VENUS (another site member)

Roasted Chestnuts

Directions
Use a kitchen knife, a chestnut knife or a slitting tool to score and cut the shell with an "X" where the shell bulges outward (this will allow steam to be released rather than building up and exploding the shell as it roasts). Place the chestnuts in a dish or pan with enough water to fully cover the chestnuts and let them soak for 30 minutes to an hour before roasting.
Remove the nuts from the water and pat dry.
If oven roasting, place the nuts in a roasting pan or baking sheet and roast at 400º F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the shells begin to curl where they were slit-scored.
If roasting on the stovetop or over coals, place the nuts in a chestnut pan (having a bottom with open holes) and use low to medium heat, if on a stovetop, or place the pan approximately 6 inches above the heat, if using coals.
Keep the pan covered. 
Heat for 10 to 20 minutes, shaking the nuts occasionally to heat evenly, so the chestnuts don't burn.
When finished roasting, allow the nuts to cool either openly or in an old towel.
If wrapped in a towel, the protective cloth can be used while the nut is hot to apply pressure to the shell so it cracks.
If necessary,  the nut can also be removed by making a single score/cut around the middle of the shell.
For a richer flavor, sauté the nuts after they have cooled.
Place chestnuts in a pan over high heat setting.
Add 1/4 cup of butter and coat the chestnuts thoroughly with the butter. Then, place the pan in the oven and roast the chestnuts until they are golden.
Season with salt.

Likes (0)