forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 24 Jan 08 6:04pm

babypink

Member since Thu 24 Jan 08

Easy to cook meals

Hi

I live on my own and work full time, but want to start to cook good healthy food either with pork, chicken or beef and veg.  However, living on my own there is a fine balance to groceries I buy and what I cook so there is a lot of wastage

Are there any good recipies for one person or where I can make something that freezes well and you dont get all that horrid water when it defrosts, I dont want it to lose its flavour.

Recipies for one would be nice big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 24 Jan 08 9:05pm

smile_seta

From The Philippines
Member since Mon 03 Dec 07

Re: Easy to cook meals

Hi, babypink?  Cooking for one?  Whenever I'm alone alone, I am actually not in the mood for cooking anything extravagant because it could be more expensive with the gas, plates washing, water, etc., so I end up with marinades or frying. 

Why don't you try marinating a portions of meat first, put each porion in separate plastics, stuck it in the freezer, take out one once your at home, then fry it?  It's more economical and you don't have to do the chopping everytime your eating.

smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 24 Jan 08 9:52pm

Peanut21

HI,
I like to prepare large dishes on the weekend such as mushroom lasgne. I then portion up the whole thing and put in the freezer. Easy to pull one out, pop in the oven. I only have to make a small salad and a glass of wine and I'm done. smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 25 Jan 08 11:31am

ChilliPorra

Occupation G.M. of kitchen & interior company
From Johannesburg, South Africa
Member since Fri 25 Jan 08

Hi I also stay alone & find it very simple to just pop some spiced pork chops, chicken breasts or fish fillets in a preheated oven, cook some rice & stir fry veggies, add sweet & sour sauce & voila. Also doesn't make too much washing up.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 25 Jan 08 3:05pm

babypink

Thanks for these tips, I have bought some pork fillets and such and bagged the pieces individually, so I can take them out one at a time. Although I am still relatively new to cooking and it probably going to be still meat and two veg syndrome - eeek! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 31 Jan 08 6:55am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Chicken pasta salad

INGREDIENTS

¾cup farfalle pasta
10g butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
50g mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
½ cup shredded barbeque chicken
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives

Dressing
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard

METHOD

Boil farfalle pasta in water until tender; drain.

Melt 10g butter in small frying pan; cook crushed garlic clove, thinly sliced mushrooms and chopped red capsicum until tender.

To make dressind, shake 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar and 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard together in screw-top jar.

Combine pasta and vegetable mixture in medium bowl with shredded barbecued chicken and fresh chives.

Asian broth

INGREDIENTS

5 dried shiitake mushrooms (10g)
1½cups (375ml) vegetable stock (page 60)
2 teaspoons tamari
1cm piece fresh ginger (5g), grated
½ teaspoon peanut oil
½ small carrot (35g), sliced thinly
30g snow peas, trimmed, chopped coarsely
1 green onion, sliced thinly
½ cup (40g) finely shredded wombok
30g canned bamboo shoots, cut into matchsticks

METHOD

Place mushrooms in small heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water, stand 20 minutes; drain. Discard stems; halve caps.

Combine stock, tamari, ginger and oil in medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Add mushroom and carrot, reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrot is just tender. Add peas, onion, wombok and bamboo shoots; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes.

Saffron lasagne with pork sausage ragu and ricotta

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon olive oil
100g Italian sausage meat
splash of white wine
10 grape tomatoes, cut in quarters
few saffron threads
30g low fat ricotta
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cooked lasagne squares per serve, 7cm square
shaved pecorino
extra-virgin olive oil

METHOD

Heat oil and sauté sausage meat, splash with white wine.

Add the tomatoes and saffron threads and cook approximately 5-6 minutes.

Gently stir through ricotta and chopped parsley and season to taste.

Place one lasagne sheet on serving plate, layer with sauce and pasta, finish with shaved pecorino and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.

steak sandwich

INGREDIENTS

180g beef scotch fillet
1/2 brown onion
1 ripened tomato
50g wild rocket leaves
20g fresh horseradish
30g parmesan
4 cloves garlic
2 sprigs rosemary
30g butter
20ml extra virgin olive oil
20ml olive oil
2 slices of sourdough bread
salt and pepper

METHOD

Place the rosemary and garlic on top of meat, season well. Tear two sheets of baking paper, place beef between, and tenderise meat with rolling pin until about 5mm thick. Wash rocket, slice the tomato, set aside.

Slice onion thinly, and cook with butter until softened on bbq.

Drizzle small amount of extra virgin oil onto bread, and toast until coloured on bbq. Cook beef on high heat, two minutes each side, turning once.

Place beef onto toasted bread and grate horseradish onto beef, followed by tomato and rocket and freshly shaved parmesan. Top with onion and last slice of bread.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 10 Feb 08 4:23am

Burkey

Occupation Self-employed
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 06 Feb 08

babypink wrote:

Hi

I live on my own and work full time, but want to start to cook good healthy food either with pork, chicken or beef and veg.  However, living on my own there is a fine balance to groceries I buy and what I cook so there is a lot of wastage

Are there any good recipies for one person or where I can make something that freezes well and you dont get all that horrid water when it defrosts, I dont want it to lose its flavour.

Recipies for one would be nice big_smile

Hello babypink,  I have recently cooked the following recipes which are all suitable to freeze, so I don't have to cook something every single night, but also because I am going on hoiday, will have a few guests and will be able to have a meal ready quickly without a lot of preparation.  They have all turned out well, so good luck!

Chicken, Leek & Mushroom Pies
Serves 4
(obviously you could halve the quantities of these recipes - healthy alternative would be not to bother with the pastry and replace the cream with low-fat yoghurt, leave out the bacon if counting fat content)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium 350g leek
2 rindless bacon rashers, sliced thinly
200g mushrooms, sliced thickly
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
1/3 cup (80ml) cream
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
3 cups (480g) coarsely chopped barbecued chicken or cubed & cooked chicken breast (less fat than thigh etc.)
1 sheet read-rolled puff pastry
(you might want to check salt for taste if leaving out bacon)

Preheat oven to moderately hot (200" C.)  only if you want the pastry on top.
Heat oil in medium saucepan, cook leed, bacon and mushrooms, stirring until leek softens. 
Stir in flour, cook stirringk until mixture thickens and bubbles.
Gradually add stock, cook stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
Stir in cream (yoghurt) mustard & chicken.
For individual pies: Divide mixture among 4 1-cup (250ml) ovenproof dishes, top each with pastry cut to fit the dish.
Bake for 20 minutes in oven.

You could just freeze in quantity of your choice without going to "pie" stage.

Beef & Onion Casserole
1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 2cm dice
1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 small (200g) browm onions, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic crushed
150g mushrooms sliced thickly
1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
400g can crushed tomatoes
2 cups (500ml) beef stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
(I found this recipe needed a herb - your choice.  I used Rosemary.  You can leave out the wine if preferred and add a sprinkle of balsamic instead - taste test though!)

Coat beef in flour, shake away excess.
Heat half the oil in large saucepan, cook beef in batches, until browned all over.
Heat remaining oil in same pan, cook onion, garlic and mushrooms, stirring until onion softens.
Return beef to pan with wine, undrained tomatoes, stock and paste, bring to the boil.
Reduce heat, simmer, covered for 40 minutes.
Uncover: simmer for a further 40 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce thickens slightly - stir occasionally.
Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Pea and Salmon Pasta Bake
375g rigatoni pasta
40g butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups (500ml) milk
1 1/2 cups (180ml) frozen peas
1/2 cup (40g) coarsely grated parmesan cheese
1 1/4 cups (150g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese
415g can pink salmon, drained, skin and bones removed (pink for economy, but I used Red for the taste - whatever you prefer)

Preheat oven to moderately hot (200"C)
Cook pasta to desired doneness.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan.  Add flour, cook, stirring, until mixture thickens and bubbles.
Gradually stir in milk, stir over medium heat untill sauce boils and thickens.
Stir in peas, 1/4 cup parmesan and 3/4 cup cheddar.
Combine sauce mixture with pasta and salmon in a shallow 2.5litre (10 cup) oiled ovenproof dish, sprinkle with remaining combined cheeses.  Bake uncovered in a moderately hot oven about 20 minutes or until browned lightly.
(You might want to leave the baking stage until you want to eat)

I found these recipes easy to prepare (good for prepare-ahead meals too) economical and tasty  lol   Got a thumbs up from all the family.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 11 Feb 08 3:15am

peanutts

Occupation mum
From malaysia
Member since Mon 20 Dec 04

Hi,

I think the easiest is making a good fritata,  use your choice of veg , i love mine with tomatoes, mushrooms sausages and potatoes.  i make it as making an omlette, mix everything  into the egg  after  frying a in a little oil ,  pour into the beaten egg ( about 2) and  pour the lot  into the frying pan, though i dont put in under the grill, too impatient  just flip it in the  frying pan ( a bit tricky though)  and to make it more filling i  put a slice of bread  in the middle just before it sets and fold the set egg around it . crazy as it sounds it, it tastes quite good, not much  to clean   takes only a  about 10 minutes.  You can even add a grated cheese.

yummy peanutts

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 11 Feb 08 5:49pm

Cleary

Occupation Chef
From Beccles
Member since Fri 12 Oct 07

best thing to do is things like curry's, pasta sacues ect because pasta and rice can be cooked in large amounts and put in the fridge and re heated in microwave same as curry's you can freeze it in portions and defrost as and when you need it this is also good with stew's ect good healthy filling tasty food and you only need 2 spend 1 night a week cooking it up eg a sunday cook several dishes freez them and defrost as and when you need them! reason i say several is because you dont want to be eating curry all week its like christmas there is nothing worse than you mum wanting to use the turkey after the big days its turkey this and turkey that all week drives u mad!

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 11 Feb 08 5:50pm

Cleary

Occupation Chef
From Beccles
Member since Fri 12 Oct 07

also stir fry's ect are quick and easy to make! And also pizza now and again buy a ready made base add your topping and your away!

Likes (0)