Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 06 Jul 08 7:14pm

keithsbit

Member since Sun 06 Jul 08

fine polenta

Can you please give me a recipe for fine polenta and can I use it instead of plain /self raising flour

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 06 Jul 08 8:28pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: fine polenta

Hello keithsbit, welcome -

You cannot use polenta on it's own for baking, you need to add either flour or ground almonds.

There are 2 of Jamie's recipes on-site, one for a Polenta and Apple Cake and the other for Orange and Polenta Biscuits, but they both use a mix of polenta and plain flour.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/dess … ke-bustren

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/dess … a_biscuits

Lemon Polenta Cake....this one uses a mix of polenta and ground almonds.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4702 … ello-syrup

Nigel Slater's recipe for Orange and Honey Polenta Cake.

A moist cardamom and orange-scented cake with a nutty texture that works both as a cake for tea and as a dessert. You will need a non-stick, loose-bottomed cake tin about 20cm in diameter. Incidentally, the cake is gluten-free.
220gr butter
220gr unrefined caster sugar
150gr almonds
150gr ground almonds
3 large eggs
150gr polenta
1 level teaspoon baking powder
finely grated zest and juice of a large orange
12 green cardamom pods

For the syrup -

Juice of 2 lemons, juice of 2 oranges, 4 tablespoons honey

Line the base of the cake tin with a piece of baking parchment. Set the oven at 180C/Gas 4.

Beat the butter and sugar in a food mixer till light and fluffy. Put the almonds in a heat-proof bowl and pour boiling water over them. Remove a few at a time with a draining spoon and pop them out of their skins. Discard the skins. Blitz the almonds in a food processor till they are finely chopped, then add them, together with the ground almonds, to the cake mixture. Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat them lightly with a fork, then stir into the mixture. Mix the polenta and baking powder, then fold into the mixture, together with the grated orange zest and juice. Crush the cardamom pods and extract the little black seeds, grinding them to a fine powder. Add the spice to the cake mixture.

Transfer the cake mixture to the lined tin and smooth the top level. Bake for 30 minutes, turn down the heat to 160C/gas 3 for a further 25 -30 minutes or until the cake is firm.

To make the syrup, squeeze the lemon and orange juice into a stainless steel saucepan, bring to the boil and dissolve in the honey. Keep the liquid boiling until it has formed a thin syrup (4-5 minutes). Spike holes into the top of the cake (still warm and in its tin)with a skewer then spoon over the hot citrus syrup. Leave to almost cool, then lift out of the tin.

Serve in thick slices with thinly sliced fresh oranges and - if you want something more decadent - a little natural yogurt.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 Sep 09 6:10am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I wrote the following info to my sister who has just bought a kilo of fine cornmeal and has never used it before. Since this thread turned up in my search I thought I might as well add to it!

Dear Sister!
After thinking how much you would enjoy adding a bit of cornmeal to your pancakes, I started wondering about other things you would make with them.

I love the texture of polenta and cornbread that is made with coarse cornmeal, and I don’t know that I would like it made with fine cornmeal.

So I have had some fun looking around the net.

One post was how in different parts of Italy they use a different grade of cornmeal for their polenta. One area likes it made with the coarse grade and firm, another makes it with fine cornmeal and it is more like a soup.

The time I bought it, apart from adding it to bread and waffles, I made a North Indian bread which is made with cornmeal rather than wheat. It is really nice, but takes a lot of rolling out etc, so I won’t send the recipe unless you are keen to try it.

It is popular for coating food before frying, ie dip in egg, dip in cornmeal. One person said that any recipe requiring matzo meal can use fine cornmeal instead.

It was recommended to mix 1:1 fine cornmeal and all purpose flour when making muffins etc – and use the original amount of baking powder.

Someone commented how wonderful pastry for savoury tarts was when made with cornmeal.

I have recipes for ‘Indian Pudding’ a North American custard made with fine cornmeal, and for some nice biscuits. I would be happy to send you either or both of those recipes. I have made the biscuits but not the custard.

And here are a few links that might interest you:

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/6968/le … -loaf.aspx

http://www.joyofbaking.com/SconesCornmeal.html

http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/Cornmea … ipe/recipe

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 13 Sep 09 9:53am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

if I'm not wrong a recipe  given by a lady where I bought eggs was:

some pieces of pumpkin she had just cropped and let me taste raw how sweet it was yummy, some milk and water in a little pan, let it come to boiling point, add pumpkin pieces and let become soft, add a handful of fine polenta flour and whisk until it becomes like a cream and .......... I forgot a pinch of salt,
pour a ladleful of this cream in a soup dish, on top some spoonfuls of heavy cream (panna di latte) some sugar and cinnamon and eat it hot.................... feeling  in heaven big_smile
p.s.
this recipe was done when the cow had given birth to a little calf and the milk could not be brought to the local latteria and the cream floated on its surface in abundance, so in ancient times it was permitted to nonnas to gratify the kids with this poor but superlative dessert

Last edited by madamada (Sun 13 Sep 09 9:57am)

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 13 Sep 09 10:26am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Wow Mada, what a treat. I could try a dim reflection of this dish with my ingredients!

Likes (0)